Chapter 12

"A date...it's just a date, Twilight."

Twilight breathed heavily as she listened to Starlight's words. "JUST a date? This is Pinkie we're talking about! This is a huge deal! I can't handle this! What if it's awkward? What if she figures out she doesn't like me after all?"

"That won't happen, Twilight!" Starlight said as she watched Twilight pace in a circle around her room. "You just need to be yourself. You two have done plenty of things alone together. This shouldn't be any different:"

"But we're doing it romantically this time! What if that makes it weird?"

"It won't. Trust me."

Twilight took a deep breath, trying her best to believe Starlight's words of encouragement. She went to her mirror, brushed out her straight hair, sprayed herself with her favorite perfume, put on her saddlebag, and headed for the door. That is before her thoughts stopped her in her tracks.

"I better bring something warm in case it's chilly." She levitated a navy blue cape Rarity had made her a while back onto her shoulders and tied the front into a bow. She took one last look in the mirror and left her room to wait for Pinkie in the foyer.

Good luck! Tell Pinkie I said hey!" Starlight called after her, excited for her friend.

"Thanks, Starlight, I will!"

Twilight saw the door open and beamed. Pinkie stood with a picnic basket tied to her head as if it were a hat.

"Hey Pinkie! Doesn't that hurt a bit?"

"No way! I'm an earth pony. We've got great strength!"

Twilight laughed "Alright then. But I still wanna hold it for you. Let me get that." Twilight then levitated the picnic basket and kept it in the air as they walked. They headed for a hill not too far from their homes, where they knew the view would be stunning. Twilight levitated a blanket onto the grass and set up her telescope so she could get a closer look when she wanted to. She also took a book out of her saddlebag which peeked Pinkie's interest as she wondered what it was about.

"It's a book on stars." Twilight explained. "It shows different stars along with fun facts about them."

"But don't you already know them all by name?" Pinkie said, confused.

"Well, yeah, but it's still fun to look through. And plus, maybe I can show you a star or two!"

Pinkie loved the way Twilight smiled when she was really passionate. She started going on about different constellations she'd seen before. With each word, Pinkie listened closely, trying her best to absorb every little detail.

"I have pictures at the castle of some that I thought were especially beautiful if you ever wanna see them!" Twilight brought herself back into reality. "Oh jeez, sorry, Pinkie. Did I say too much? I do that a lot when I'm excited."

Pinkie giggled. "No no, you're fine! I love hearing you talk about things you love. Go on!"

Twilight smiled at Pinkie's kindness. With Pinkie's blessing, she continued telling her about stars while they set up their area on the hill. Once the moon was raised, the sky became a beautiful navy blue. Twilight stopped herself from continuing her chat about stars and levitated Pinkie onto the blanket. "It's time."

They wondrously looked up at the sky as it glistened with beautiful shining stars. The two ponies sat up on the blanket, searching for interesting constellations in the night sky. The wind blew harsher than it had before, making Pinkie shiver a bit. Twilight picked up on this and motioned for Pinkie to come closer.

"Come here, we can share my cape. It's plenty big to keep us both warm." Pinkie smiled as she snuggled close to Twilight, wrapped in the cape's warmth.

"I guess I should've brought my cape, huh?" Pinkie said, with a slight giggle.

Twilight smiled. "Logically, yeah. But this is way more fun." The two stayed huddled up in the blue cape receiving each other's warmth. Twilight was shocked at how much of a natural she was. Cuddling so close to Pinkie on their first date was very out there for her. She had to admit, she was proud of herself.

After about an hour and a half of stargazing and cuddling, they decided it was time to head back home. They packed up their stuff and made their way toward Twilight's castle, where Pinkie had planned to drop her off.

"You know, you could come in if you want. We could make tea or something to warm up." Twilight said as she levitated the door open.

Pinkie immediately liked the sound of that idea. "That sounds great! You could even show me those star pictures while we're at it! Do you have hot chocolate?"

Twilight pretended to be offended. "Hey! What you got against tea? I've got just about every kind there is!" She continued talking as they made their way toward the kitchen. "But yes, I have hot chocolate."

"Tea is so bland. I'm Pinkie Pie, remember? Bland is not how I roll!"

Twilight giggled at Pinkie's wording. "I guess that's fair. I really didn't even care for sweets until I met you. I still think dark chocolate is the best though. You can never change my mind on that!"

"I wish I could!"

The two continued their playful debate on which type of chocolate was superior until the tea kettle finally began whistling on the stove. Twilight levitated two mugs onto the counter and poured the hot beverage into them. Pinkie noticed it was hot chocolate, and couldn't help but smile.

The two looked at Twilight's star pictures while sipping their drinks. At one point, Pinkie had asked if Twilight had any whipped cream. When the response was yes, Pinkie built a tower of it to top off her mug of the sweet drink. When she licked a bit off the top, a big dot of the white cream stayed on her nose, which Twilight thought was just adorable. Twilight levitated over a small napkin to clean her girlfriend's nose. Pinkie flinched and began to giggle.

"That tickles!"

"Well, your nose was dirty! You know how crazy I am about keeping things clean."

"You just wanted it clean so you could kiss it."

Twilight blushed and giggled. "That wasn't necessarily the original plan, but I wouldn't object either."

"Too bad I beat you to it!" Pinkie said very quickly, before giving Twilight a quick kiss on her nose.

Twilight turned a bright red, as she had loved what had just happened but wasn't expecting it. "That's not fair! I didn't even get a chance!"

"Well, go on! Take your chance! But you gotta catch me first!" Pinkie said as she ran down the hall.

Twilight smirked as she flew to find Pinkie. Sure, Twilight had wings, but this was Pinkie. She could always get places in no time with absolutely zero explanation. But soon enough, Twilight arrived in the library, which looked empty. However, she could hear some muffled laughter in the distance.

Twilight slowly walked toward the shelf the laughing was coming from and went in circles trying to make sure it was the right one. Before she knew it, she heard a voice that startled her to fall to the floor.

"Gotcha!" Pinkie shouted out, still in deep laughter. Once Twilight realized what had happened, she couldn't control her laughter either. They both completely lost it, as they laughed at their silly game of hide and seek.

When they were finally able to stop themselves and catch their breath, they stared at each other on the floor.

"Well, this has been an eventful night," Twilight said, as she fidgeted with Pinkie's hair.

"You bet! I had a ton of fun with you, Twi!" Pinkie said as she smiled at Twilight running her hoof through her curls.

The two said their goodbyes and made plans to see each other the next day. Twilight agreed to stop by Sugarcube Corner that morning to say hi while Pinkie was working her shift. Twilight went to go write in her journal to Sunset about it, but fell fast asleep as soon as she got in bed. That is, until her nightmare started...