Chapter 5

AUTHOR'S NOTE

Hi, everypony! This chapter gets into a little more info on Twilight's past before Ponyville and is a very important piece of why Twilight has such a hard time dealing with her feelings for Pinkie in this story. This will contain some minor homophobia, so just beware before you read if that could be a potential trigger for you. I hope you like the chapter!

****** THIS CHAPTER TAKES PLACE DURING THE S6 TIME PERIOD ******

Pinkie and Twilight walked to town and exchanged words as they giggled at the silly things each other had to say. Twilight wasn't normally much of a jokester, but ever since she'd grown closer to Pinkie she'd learned it was actually something she enjoyed, just like baking. Pinkie was always opening her mind to new ideas, and if anypony had helped Twilight discover new things about herself, Pinkie definitely taught her the most. Twilight was finally starting to admit to herself that she might like Pinkie as more than a friend. But as soon as that thought circled through her mind, Pinkie's words slowly faded from Twilight's mind as she started to think of her parents. Their voices became clear as she recalled a conversation from when she was just a filly.

Twilight stared out the window in amazement as she watched an adorable couple sipping tea on a date. She could tell they were together because one of the ponies had brought the other flowers a few minutes earlier, which followed up with a kiss before they began chatting. The young filly always found love so interesting and beautiful. She wondered if she'd ever have that feeling for anypony. But her thoughts quickly disappeared into thin air when her Mother and Father caught her staring- something they'd told her she wasn't to do anymore. Her Father spoke in a firm tone.

"And what exactly do you think you're doing Miss Sparkle?"

"Well...I-I was looking at the couples! They are so cute together and it just makes me happy to see them so-"

Twilight was cut off by her Mother's voice.

"Enough Twi. We already discussed this. We will not let you be brainwashed like the rest of our kind have been. You know our group would never stand for something like that. Two mares could never be true love. It isn't real. You mustn't let yourself get sucked into this! Do you understand?"

Twilight's tiny ears drooped as she frowned in sadness.

"Yes Mother, I apologize."

Although most of Equestria didn't care who loved who or what ponies chose to identify as there was a small group of ponies who were very against all of it. Ponies always avoided this group since they were so hateful, which was a huge part of why Twilight got used to being lonely and isolated at such a young age. Shortly after the incident, Twilight became Celestia's student, which no one expected to happen. Why would the Princess take the daughter of such a hurtful family in as her own personal student? Not only did Celestia see how incredibly talented she was, but she saw a filly needing someone with the right mindset to guide her. Celestia was successful and made sure Twilight grew up to be an accepting mare, unlike her parents. She was also able to protect Shining Armor from their damaging words, and he grew up to be the same way. To this day they both kept up with their parents, but not nearly as much as they should've. As hard as it was to try and keep a relationship with them knowing how they felt about most of their friends, they kept it up for years with as few interactions as possible. Years went by, and Twilight never even dared to bring up the subject of their group anymore. She didn't even wanna know what they might be up to. What if they had become even worse? If she was being honest, she doubted that was even possible at this point. Even though she completely disagreed with them on the subject, she still lived for their approval. For years any feelings she might've felt for any mare were pushed down and forgotten. It's no wonder she'd been alone for all this time. Pushing down so much of how she felt made her want nopony. She never felt like she needed someone, but true love was always something she'd dreamed of. But with who? Now that she was finally starting to recognize her feelings for a girl, she slowly started to realize how much more was now possible. But every time those thoughts made her happy, there were her parent's ancient words again. She shook in fear as if they were standing right in front of her. But her thoughts were soon interrupted by a familiar and comforting voice.

"Twi? Helloooo? You in there?" Pinkie said, with a smile hiding a feeling of slight concern.

Twilight shook her head to try and focus on Pinkie once again. "Oh! Sorry Pinkie! I didn't mean to ignore you like that. I just...got distracted by the pretty flowers!" Twilight said, as she nervously pointed her hoof at the flower cart. "Here, have one! Isn't it pretty?"

She levitated a blue flower from the cart and exchanged it with a bit as payment for the flower ponies. She placed the flower in Pinkie's hair next to her ear.

Pinkie smiled and gave a slight blush. "Aww, you didn't have to do that! How does it look?"

Twilight got lost in Pinkie's eyes when she said that. Twilight couldn't get over how incredibly beautiful Pinkie looked. "Perfect. It really goes with your eyes." Twilight said slowly, as she continued to admire the pink pony.

They finally arrived at their destination and were very excited to finally get some lunch. But when Twilight read the sign on the door, her ears drooped in disappointment.

"What's wrong Twi?"

"The owner is out of town. We can go somewhere else though, it's fine."

"No it isn't!" Pinkie shouted. "I know how excited you were to get your favorite daffodil and daisy sandwich here! I mean, after all, it's your favorite sandwich like...ever!"

Twilight turned to Pinkie looking a bit shocked. "How did you know it's my favorite? I don't remember mentioning that."

Pinkie giggled. "You didn't have to, silly! We spend A LOT of time together. I think I would've picked up on your usual order by now. But anyway YOU ARE GETTING YOUR SANDWICH! FOLLOW ME!"

"But Pinkie I just told you, they're clo-" Twilight's words were cut off as Pinkie yanked her hoof and ran them over to Sugarcube Corner.

Pinkie ran inside and within seconds, was back outside with a picnic basket. She was similar to Rainbow Dash where she could somehow do certain things very fast, except hers were preparing food, and decorating parties. She ran up to Twilight and tied a blindfold around her eyes with her hooves.

"Keep this on for juuust a minute." Pinkie said in her usual hyper tone.

"If you say so, Pinkie.", Twilight said, sounding completely trusting of Pinkie.

Pinkie guided Twilight for a few minutes until they finally arrived at their new destination.

"You can look now, Twilight!"