six.

~~~The Evening After School~~~

"Hey, Dad," Adelaide's sweet voice echoed the garage room as she dragged her bike by her side, her hands both gripping the handles. 

"Adelaide, hi. How was school?" He was fixing something inside the bonet of his car but his visor shield was up which meant that he too, was searching for something. 

"It was alright. It's the last day so we didn't really do much, to be honest," she shrugged, leaning her bike against the kickstand. "Need any help, Daddy?" She slung her backpack over her shoulder and walked towards him, peeking her head slightly. 

"No no, it was just a little shortage. It's all good now. You go on in. I fixed up a plate of lunch for you," he closed the bonet and turned to Adelaide. 

"What about you?" 

"I'll join you in a minute. Gotta proof check this little thing," he gave the car a small tap. 

 Adelaide nodded as she pursed her lips and walked towards the house through the door that connected the garage and the kitchen. The moment she stepped foot into the house, the savoury smell of her favourite pasta dish filled her nostrils and she almost melted from the aroma.

How perfect, she thought. Her dad's home and summer break has started and her dad made her favourite pasta. She let her backpack fall to the floor of the stairs that would lead to her room and walked over to the kitchen island where a pot of her lunch was rested on it. She grabbed out a plate and some tongs and twirled the pasta with the utensil onto her plate. She grinded some additional black pepper on it before adding some grated parmesan cheese. 

 She didn't take some for her father in case he took longer than expected so she just made her way to the dining table. She poured herself a glass of water and set it on the table beside her plate. She began eating and enjoying her meal with delight. Her father was a great cook. 

 Everything about the dish was spectacular. The pasta itself was perfectly cooked and the cream was in perfect balance with the tomato flavour. The saltiness of the dish was just enough and the aromatic herbs brought out the delicious taste of the pasta.

 She got a few twists of pasta before her father walked into the house through the door she came from. He washed his hands and took out a plate just as she did. With a glass of water on one hand and the plate of pasta on the other, he walked over to the dining table and sat across Adelaide. 

"How is it?" He asked, twisting his own fork. 

"Perfect, as always," she giggled.

 "Are you excited for summer break?" He broke the silence after swallowing a few twists of the pasta. 

"I suppose, yeah," she nodded, taking a small sip of the water. 

"I bet you and your friends got all sorts of plans already?"