twenty-five.

~~~Abandoned And Alone~~~

"This is so fucking stupid! I should have gone in there!" Adelaide ranted, pacing back and forth in anger. 

Stan was playing with a daisy that he had found. He was sat on the creaky steps of the house, occasionally glancing up to Adelaide as he listened to her rambling. "Bill told you to stay out," he let out, focusing back on the daisy he held. 

"I don't care what Bill says!" She yelled but only Stan cared to listen as the others had given up trying to calm her. 

"Sure you do," he spoke casually, not bothering to look up. 

"What?" She panted, finally stopping her movements, eyebrows creased and eyes squinted. Her hands were both on her hips. 

"I'm just saying," Stan shrugged, a little sass in his voice as he stopped playing the daisy and met her eyes. "Whatever concerns Bill, concerns you," he listed. "Bill could jump off a cliff and you would, too. Hell, you already did!" His voice slightly raised before he rolled his eyes and turned back to the daisy. 

Adelaide widened her eyes, taken aback by surprise at his sudden outburst. "That's not true," she scoffed, crossing her arms. 

 It was true. And she knew it, too. But for some reason, she had no idea why she was denying it in front of Stan or why he seemed so annoyed at such a fact. Stan had brought his head up to look at her again, slightly glaring, piercing her grey eyes. 

"Whatever," he softened, letting out a scoff before playing with the daisy again. 

 Adelaide frowned and decided to stray away. She watched as Mike was sitting against the fence and Ben was comforting Beverly, with a hand behind her back. Adelaide turned the corner, just slightly past where Ben and Bev were sitting on the ground.

 There was nothing back there other than overgrown weeds and more sunflowers. They were pretty and lush, despite the origin of land it sprouted from. Part of her wanted to quickly grab one but she decided against it, knowing better than to foolishly be alone in such a distance away from the others.

 She turned around, expecting to see Bev and Ben who was supposed to be sitting not three meters away from where Adelaide stood. Her sight was not met with the two but with an empty landscape of the house.

 The first logical reasoning that popped into her brain was that maybe the two had moved away. So, she wandered forward, expecting to see the two, Mike and Stan. Mike was supposed to be seated on the ground and Stan, on the steps. Yet, neither were there.

 Involuntarily, her body shivered when the summer air turned chill, contrast to the typical July afternoon of Derry. The air was not of the usual weathery kind, she had noticed, too. It was one that she would associate with death and fear. 

 Adelaide could feel the small baby hair on the back of her neck rise. She focused her hearing as she wandered to the front of the house. The whole world seemed so silent. Silent and dead. It reminded her of the ending of a book she once read.