twenty-nine.

~~~August (II)~~~

~~~August (II)~~~

 Adelaide couldn't help the grin that overtook her rosy complexion. The guilt that flooded her was distant and she didn't want to focus on it. Stanley felt right. The only thing wrong was how it wasn't fair to him because she knew she still had feelings for Bill.

 But Stan was everything a girl could ever dreamed of. He was kind, reassuring, smart, loyal, understanding. And the way she felt for Stan was only growing bigger. It was so different than what she felt for Bill.

 She pushed away all those contemplating thoughts, and focused only on the sole fact that she had had her first kiss. And it was to Stanley Uris. Her Stanley. But he wasn't hers. Shut up, she thought to herself. 

 The next morning arrived sooner than expected. Adelaide's mind was heavy with thoughts of Stanley. She was sure that he was going to call her that day, or at least visit her house. But by noon, she received nothing.

 Feeling slightly uneasy, she decided to call upon the Uris Residence. Hoping that Stan would answer the phone, she was immediately let down when his mother's voice peeked through. 

 It turned out that Stan had refused to even leave his bed since last night. The older woman asked if Adelaide had any message but she thought it would better to decline.

 Adelaide grew worried over the day, praying to God that Stan would be alright and not get in too much trouble with his dad for the stunt he pulled at the synagogue yesterday. During dinner that night, Adelaide received very unfortunate news from her father. 

"I have to go away next Friday," he said. 

"Why?" 

"There's a new arrival of car parts from Portland and I'm going there," he explained carefully. 

"Oh, right, then," she nodded, continuing her meal, not really thinking much of it. 

"But I'm staying there overnight," he added, now causing Adelaide to look up from her food. 

"What?"

"Don't worry, I told Zack and Sharon and they said they'd be happy to let you stay over. I'm sure Bill wouldn't mind. It wouldn't be the first time you two slept in the same room," he said nonchalantly before finishing his meal. 

"Right."

 She didn't have the heart to tell him that she hadn't talked to Bill in almost a month. Her dad was barely home because he was working so much, earning money for New York. He had no idea about how lonely she had been. Adelaide only nodded with a fake smile. 

 Adelaide went to sleep that night wondering if Bill knew that he would have to spend a night with her in his room the next Friday. She sighed, finding her life in Derry growing more complicated and tiring.