Heritage - 47

I stood there, my mind racing. My heart was beating so hard it drowned out the noise of everything and everyone.

"Have a look for yourself." Tyler said, holding out a piece of paper. I snatched it from his hands.

"Remember your friends party, that was why I was in your house, your fake fathers office." Tyler explained.

I slowly opened the piece of paper, my hands shaking.

It was a birth certificate.

I read the names of my parents. I stopped breathing.

Robert Atticus Martinez
Edina Raven Martinez

Father and Mother of:
Raven Lilith Martinez

My parents. The women's middle name was my own.

I dropped my paper, it felt like it was burning up. "This is fake, you are a sick fuck trying to ruin my mind." I wouldn't believe it.

"If you don't believe me, just ask John Zandoff. He knows everything." Tyler looked behind himself at John. The expression on his face made me heart drop, it made me realise this may be true.

"Tell me everything Tyler. I don't want games." I spat.

"Robert Martinez was the mafia lord. His wife, Edina Martinez was just as capable at killing people and handling business as he was. They were unstoppable, the most profitable mafia in the world. That was until John Zandoff, Roberts life long friend stabbed him in the back, taking away everything and claiming the title as his own. Most rebelled against John, with Robert as their leader. John was failing, the mafia falling apart under his own hands. He convinced everyone that Robert was sabotaging everything, ruining it all, some believed him." Tyler smirked, as if he was taking delight in my loss of mind.

"John decided to murder Robert and his wife, leaving the mafia with no one to lead, accept himself. When he snuck into Roberts room to kill him, he realised they had a baby in a cot beside their bed. Their child, the true heir of the mafia. It seems John has some heart, because he didn't kill you Raven. Though he killed your parents while you were crying in the cot most likely."

"He stole your birth certificate and fled back home to his fake title. John gave you to a willing family, giving them money and a career. Garrett and Lily Rodriquez, they had one son. Jacob Rodriquez." I sat down on the couch as Tyler continued. It was too much, everything I had believed. And then it occurred to me. Hunter, did he know?

"They raised you, taking you away from the mafia life, not because they cared about you but because John told them to. He was concerned some would find out who you truly were. Of course, no one knows who you are, except for me and dear old John. I intend to keep it that way, because I am the new heir to the mafia, not you, not anymore."

"My father, Madoc, lit your house on fire, because I told him to. Men attacked you because I told them to. It was all attempts to make you hide from this world. But you didn't, you grew into it, and you moved in under his roof. It was ironic. He lied to you, told you The Martinez Group was the enemy, when they were only trying to find you, their heir, their leader. All the men you killed were your people." Tyler spat.

I should have felt tears run down my face, but I was numb. Everything I believed was a lie. A lie to keep me from my birth right. Because I was the heir of the mafia. I stood up and walked to John.

"Is it true!" I screamed at him.

He gave me the smallest of nods. I hit him, again and again. The only thing that kept me from killing him was Hunter.