02 | Maxwell

C H A N C E Y

It had been two years, three months and seventeen days since she last genuinely smiled at me.

Indigo Maxwell hated me after that, and I knew I'd die trying to win that beautiful smile back.

"Heads up!" Nelly Fobbs shouted from across the football field.

He aimed one arm upward, holding the football in the other hand. It wasn't long before the leather object spun through the air, cutting through the wind swiftly before landing in my open hands.

"Do better, Connelly," I yelled back at him, smirking as he scowled at the use of his full first name.

"Like you can, Chance," He jogged backward, widening the space between us. His pale face scrunched slightly at the scorching sun glowing on his complexion.

"I don't think you want to bet on that, Conny," His girlfriend, Viana Korey, approached us, watching with her brown eyes. The sun glowed on her dark skin as she squinted, and placed a hand over her eyes to cover the blinding light.

"Chancey De Loughrey," Nelly drawled. "Steals my spot as captain on the field, takes my place as third on the academic rankings, and decides he wants my girlfriend, too."

Viana and I chuckled at his sarcasm. Although I had taken his spot as captain, he was truly proud of me, and even though I aimed to take second, then first place in the academic ranking, I was still proud of my efforts to make it to third.

"Hey," Gabriel Farah called from the other end of the field, throwing his hands up in the air. "Thanks for the invite." His voice dripped with sarcasm.

When he turned to Nelly, I took my chance and held my arm back, holding the football firmly beneath my fingers. Smirking with mischief, I let the football fly through the air until it reached the side of Gabriel's face. He flinched, stumbling over his own feet as he threw his arms up over his face. A delayed reaction that convinced me I'd given him a concussion.

"Shit," Nelly warily jogged away from Gabriel, knowing what was coming my way.

I cackled with excitement, watching Gabby as he regained his steady stance on the grass.

If he hadn't almost tripped on his way over to grab the ball, I would've run away from the guy, but he was one of my friends, and a softy deep down. He wouldn't hurt me even if he tried.

Yet, as he clutched the ball to his chest and ran a few steps toward me, I ducked instantly as the football shot past me. It landed with a large thud behind me, and I assumed it landed on someone because Gabriel's rosy lips parted in worry.

He released a sharp breath as his hazel eyes scanned the bleachers behind me.

"Who'd you hit?" I asked, holding back laughter as I turned around.

Shit.

A group of three girls stood in front of the bleacher, huddled among each other. One of them glared at Gabriel so hard that I was convinced she'd shoot out lasers. She was his cousin, Adara. The other girl was rubbing the back of the blonde girl he hit at the back of the head. I assumed she was Dawn Robbins.

"I'm getting my ass kicked," Gabriel was beside me, heaving a few breaths as he caught up to where we stood. "I am so getting my ass kicked."

I winced as the blonde girl turned around and landed her eyes on the both of us.