12 | Mystery

I N D I G O

The school was stupid for organising school dances. We were seniors. We could throw our own parties - with alcohol. I was in dire need of some. I needed something to drown my thoughts, and the idea of being numbed with alcohol seemed like such a relieving idea.

That was why I snuck some in. I didn't tell Adara, Serenity, or Dawn as I got into the car with them. I was still trying to forget the text I recently received from Chancey. He must've gotten a new number recently because his old one was blocked.

Unknown number: hey, it's Chancey. don't block this number. please. i just wanted to check in to see how you are. hydrated again?

I left him on read.

As soon as I got into Dawn's car, my eyes latched onto the concerned face of Serenity. It looked like she wasn't even breathing, just thinking and thinking. It wasn't the first time I'd seen that look on her.

"You're an overthinker, aren't you?" I questioned, watching as she turned her head to glance at me.

She wore a beautiful white sundress that matched the mask she held in her hand. It was a masquerade thing, and although I didn't like the idea of school dances, it was a good way of hiding from Chancey, so I already had mine plastered on the top half of my face.

Adara was flicking through her playlist, but I snuck a look at her elegant lavender outfit and Dawn's basic jeans and off-the-shoulder top outfit. Dawn was looking at Serenity through the rearview mirror as she replied to me.

"It happens from time to time when my brain decides she doesn't want to shut up."

"Happens to the best of us, I think," I told her truthfully as she inspected my look.

I wore a white bodice and black leather pants. The gold studs I wore matched the bracelet on my wrist, and I added a few brushes of gold highlight to the subtle smokey eye on my face. My hair brushed along my shoulders as I put my seatbelt on.

My hair. I didn't want to lose it. That was one of the reasons I offered up to my mother when I told her I didn't want to try chemotherapy. She'd frozen up again and stared at me like I'd grown two more heads. But it wasn't her body. She had no say in whether I wanted my body to undergo the trials of chemo.

Adara whooped when her taste in music burst through the speakers. I let my mind ease off the memories of the last week and let myself jam out with my friends. They didn't have to know about my diagnosis yet. I didn't want our little time together to be tarnished when we'd just started to have great times together.

When we parked in the school parking lot, we got out, and Adara stopped to put Serenity's mask on.

Dawn turned to me and checked out my outfit. I did the same with hers, and she smiled. "Man, I'm so glad my friends are hot. I get to check them out all the time whenever I want."

I laughed at her and pulled my confused-looking friend into a hug. She froze for a moment because I rarely showed my friends any physical affection. After a second, she returned it, and I sighed into her.

I made a mental note to hug them more often. I didn't know how long I had left with them. I didn't know how long I had left to feel safe in their arms as I did just then, or how long I had left to indulge in the sweet scents of their different perfumes.

"I'm going to say hi to Pearl and her friends," Adara's voice pulled me away from Dawn. "I saw their car somewhere behind ours. You can all go in if you want. I'll follow in a minute."