25 | Heights

I N D I G O

Chancey had been afraid of heights for as long as I could remember. He'd told me how it made his legs feel numb when he'd look down from a place so high up, and I'd laugh at him because we were kids, and I liked teasing him. 

Then there was that time - a month before my father passed away - when our families went to a carnival together, and we'd gotten two tickets to the Ferris wheel. He didn't want to go, but I did, so he'd forced himself to face his fear. Chancey didn't want me to go alone, and I'd never forget the look on his face when he chased after me to catch up as I climbed into the carriage. 

It was the same expression he wore now as we boarded a hot air balloon that would fly us over Paris. 

"Don't look at me like that," He breathed out, wiggling his fingers to ease his nerves. 

I tried to contain a chuckle, but it blew right out of my mouth when he took my hand as soon as we were secure in the spacious carriage. 

Chancey didn't look around. His gaze remained on our intertwined hands while his face became pale.

"If you don't want to do this-"

"No, no," He cut me off with a firm shake of his head. "We're doing this."

I stared at him until the passenger limit was full. Chancey seemed as if he was going to pass out, so I tightened my grip on his hand enough to make him look up at me. 

"We're safe in here. It's secure," I reassured him. 

I saw his throat shift as Chancey gulped nervously, nodding anyway. 

"Think of how beautiful Paris is going to look when we're so up high," I gradually led us to the edge of the carriage.

Chancey's grip was so tight that I believed he was going to shatter my hand. 

"Breathe," I reminded him when he held his breath. 

He nodded, again, forcing himself to do as I said. His eyes were still on mine. I smiled, and his grip on my hand loosened a fraction. His chest wasn't moving so heavily anymore. My smile had really affected him that much, huh? It stunned me, even now, how much he felt for me, and how much I felt for him. 

"We're okay up here," My voice was gentle, and soft. 

The passengers of the hot air balloon had begun to shift to the other side, where the view of the  Eiffel Tower would come up shortly. We were lifting off from the ground, and Chancey was panicked again. 

"Chancey," I chuckled softly, and reached forward to cup his face. "We're safe here. I promise. It'll go by so fast, just enjoy the view. It's so pretty. And I'm right here. I'm afraid I can't go anywhere until we're on the ground again."

"Okay," Chancey's voice was gruff as he furrowed his eyebrows and dipped his head down. 

"Good," I whispered, letting go of his hand to hold the other side of his face. 

"I think I might pass out, though," He tried to smile. "Maybe then I'd pass the time." 

I laughed. He grinned. 

"You won't pass out," I hoped. 

"If you say so, Violet," He whispered, resting his head on mine. 

And I couldn't help but glance at his mouth. His lips parted as his breaths became fast again.