24 | Oui

C H A N C E Y

Indigo's eyebrows had been drawn together for the last four hours, and I thought her confused expression was going to stain her face forever. She reached a hand out to touch the oval window of the plane, leaning forward to look at the view below us, the view of the city of love.

"It didn't feel real until now," Indigo whispered, releasing a shaky breath.

My eyes landed on her other hand. It lay empty on her lap. I wanted to reach out and touch her, hold her hand and just love her. She didn't move for the next five minutes, chuckling randomly at the sight of the Eiffel Tower.

I didn't want to look. Indigo knew how much I hated heights. I rarely admitted my fear of them, and rightfully so. She always made fun of me for it.

"I can't believe my mum actually allowed me to set foot in the airport," Indigo chuckled.

"It took a while of convincing," I told her nervously.

"And that she let us go alone - with the exception that we call for the next two days." She turned to look at me, and I could've passed out when she reached out to grab my hand. "Thank you for doing this."

Too awestruck to move, I parted my lips and stared at her. Her hand covering mine was all I'd been anticipating for the past few hours, and now that I had it, I didn't know how to act. My heart hurt from all the emotions I was feeling. I wanted to be happy and relieved that I was going to have her at least for a little while, but it hurt because I knew it was just that - a little while. I wanted it to be forever.

Was it so wrong to have wanted to grow old with her? Was I too young to be thinking of a future with a dying woman? It destroyed me to think about anyway.

"Early birthday present," I murmured when she looked away again.

Indigo squeezed my hand in thanks, and I knew she was grateful her birthday wasn't going to be as traumatising as the last one I was with her two years ago.

⭐︎

A pillow was thrown with fierce force at my head, and I caught it, hiding my devious smile behind its fluffy, silk material.

"One bed?" Indigo tried lowering her voice as she whisper-yelled. "You said it had two!"

"I don't see a problem with this minor inconvenience," I shrugged, flinging the pillow back to the king-sized bed in the middle of the suite. "And why are you whispering, Violet?"

"Because-" She scoffed before groaning and throwing herself onto the soft mattress. I only knew it was comfortable because she snuggled into it and closed her eyes. Indigo looked so calm as she let out a long sigh.

"Tired?" I asked, my expression changing into one of concern.

"From a long plane ride is all," Indigo confirmed, crossing her arms beneath her head so that when she opened her eyes, she was looking at me. "I promise."

"Okay, I believe you," I replied, because I felt the same. "But we can't rest for too long. We have plans."

She raised her eyebrows, and I lowered myself to the bed beside her. I mimicked her position and finally understood why she appeared so calm and content. The mattress was like a cloud, and I shifted around to make myself the most comfortable. Indigo watched me the entire time.

"We're in Paris," She stated.

"Last time I checked, yeah," I lay on my stomach and turned my head to face her.