29 | Dark

I N D I G O

Spend the night with Chancey in a forest (only because I want to laugh at his fear of the dark - even though he won't admit it)

I read the same words over and over until they became nothing. My doctor advised me to not be out in the cold for too long, so I knew this bucket list point was pointless. I wondered how many more would be before I died. 

"He's outside," My mother told me from my bedroom door. 

I snuggled further into my bed in a foetal position and put the paper down. Not wanting to get up, I merely nodded and let myself sink into the mattress. The thick material of my sweater kept me warm, and my sweatpants were loosely fit, radiating enough heat to keep me from shivering. I was colder now, more than usual, which was always. 

"Are you sure you want him to be over right now? You're not too tired?" Her voice was gentle, concerned. 

"Let him in, please," I murmured, staring at the mirror beside my closet. 

My mother's reflection sighed softly, and the pain in her face created tension in mine. She left for a minute before returning, Chancey towering behind her. He didn't know I could see his face yet, with my back facing him, but I could, and it was too late for him to mask the look of distaste. 

Did seeing me like this disgust him? Did I disgust him now? It would only get worse from here. The vomiting, the nose bleeds, the nausea. 

Then his eyes met mine in the reflection, and he smiled brightly. My worries almost dispersed instantly. Chancey strode toward me, and I rolled onto my back. His face invaded my vision before he was pressing a quick kiss to my forehead. 

"Get up," He whispered, and I welcomed his scent. "I want to show you something."

Groaning, I gently did so. "But I was so comfortable."

"And you'll be comfortable in the tent outside, too."

Chancey didn't let me question him because he was already walking out of my bedroom door. I turned to my mum with wide eyes. She shrugged with a small smile on her lips before following him. I slid into my fluffy slippers and tried to keep up without feeling dizzy. 

My heart froze in its place as the backyard came into view. Fairy lights dispersed over the grass, lighting the space up with a warm, mellow glow. A tent was made in the middle, the front zipped open to reveal the comfortable blankets and pillows stacked inside. Crickets chirped as I gazed around the view again, and felt a happy smile cross my face. 

"It's so pretty," I whispered, taking careful steps toward the tent. 

Chancey was beside me in less than a second, ready to steady me when needed. "You almost slept the whole day, so I got lucky with setting it up," he said. 

"I didn't hear a peep," I told him. "Shockingly."

"Yeah, because I always give everything away, don't I?" He chuckled, walking beside me with his hands clasped behind his back. 

"I can read you like an open book."

"Hm," His deep hum sent me butterflies.

"You don't believe that?" I turned to him when I reached the open zip of the tent. 

"Oh, I do," Chancey told me softly, holding the entrance wide open. "You can read me more than anyone in my life can."

I contemplated him, watching as he avoided eye contact and gestured for me to enter the tent. My boyfriend was nervous, and I chuckled at his behaviour. He could be so cute sometimes. Only sometimes did I want to abandon all reason and tackle him to the ground just to hold him tight. Chancey's heart was full of gold.