Ch10: Clovis' Funeral

A very young Adelice ran down to the small pond, picking up her dress so the ends wouldn't get wet. She giggled as she watched the frogs croak and jump from lily pad to lily pad, her childhood curiosity making them the greatest animal in the world. “Adelice? What are you doing here?”, Clovis asked running up beside her.

 “I'm looking at the frogs! I would try to catch one but Lady Marianne won't let me keep one in the house.”, she pouted softly and turned her attention back to the frogs. “I could catch one for you”, Clovis quickly said, wanting to impress her. Adelice looked up at him and smiled brightly. “Are you sure? I don't want you to get in trouble..”, Adelice said, giving him a wide eye look.

 As Clovis stepped into the pond, getting his shoes all muddy a yell was heard. Adelice and Clovis turned to see who it was, they could see Lelouch running out toward them. Adelice smiled big and waved to him. “Hi, Lelouch.”, she said, smiling brightly up at him just like she had Clovis. Lelouch smiled at her and then looked toward Clovis. “What are you doing?”, he asked both of them.

 Clovis frowned, putting a hand on his hip. “I'm catching a frog for Adelice, she wants one.”, he said triumphantly. Lelouch frowned. “I could catch one too.”, he whispered making Adelice look up at him. “You don't have to. I told Clovis not to either.. Lady Marianne is going to get upset if you both get dirty.”, Adelice whined.

 Lelouch turned looked at Clovis who looked like he was close to catching one. Wanting to outdo him and impress Adelice himself he quickly ran into the pond, scaring any of the frogs so they jumped away from Clovis. “Look what you did! I almost had one!”, Clovis yelled, glaring at Lelouch who didn't pay much attention and sought about trying to get a frog.

 They both quickly tried to catch one quicker then the other. Adelice giggled as they both finally caught one and held it up happily. Running up to her, showing her proudly. She smiled big when she saw the two frogs. “They're so cute”, she said, clapping her hands together. “Mine is better!”, Clovis said, pushing the frog closer to her.

 “No!”, Lelouch said, doing the same. “Which one is better? Pick one!”, they both yelled, giving her pleading looks. Adelice giggled and smiled up at both of them. “I like both of them~”, she said, grabbing both frogs, placing them on the ground next to her. She grabbed a little pile of leaves and made a “bed” for them to sit on. She smiled up at both of the boys as they watched her playing with the frogs.

 -------------------------------------------

Adelice stood quietly with her hands in front of her, staring at the big television screen as they played the Britannian national anthem. Shirley to her right and Kallen to her left. Her eyes slowly traveled off to the far right where Lelouch was standing, his face completely neutral. Adelice tried to do her best to keep her face neutral but she couldn't help the sinking feeling in her stomach at the loss of her friend.

 She hadn't thought back to their childhood in so long.. how Clovis and Lelouch had always tried to compete for her attention in anyway they could. She had been right though.. Lady Marianne was quite upset when she saw both boys had gotten their shins deep in a thick muck of mud. She had given them another proper scolding for getting dirty right before they had to be at a ball that some of the nobles were throwing.

 She bit her bottom lip fighting back tears as she saw a huge banner of Clovis hanging on the wall above his casket. He looked as handsome as ever, dressed in a fine military outfit and gloves. He held a single rose in his hand making a smile come to her lips. He had always been such a gentle man, delicate.. like the petals of the flower he held in his hands.