Ch7: An Old Friend

“Oh now, Adelice, come on~ You look wonderful.”, Lady Marianne said, giving her a warm motherly smile to a young Adelice. “Adelice flattened out the skirt of her dress and pouted as Lady Marianne fastened little pink bows in her hair. She watched in the mirror at the scene in front of her, desperately wishing that Lady Marianne was her own mother. “But it's so hot, Lady Marianne... why do we have to wear these big dresses in the summer?”, Adelice said, trying to take of her little gloves.

 “It's only for the party, dear.”, she said still giving that warm smile to her. Lady Marianne grasped the young girls shoulders and spun her around, placing a kiss on her forehead. “You do want to look pretty for all the eligible boys don't you?”, she asked the little girl. Adelice blushed and nodded her head slowly, still trying to hide her blush.

 Lady Marianne stood and smiled, ushering Adelice out to one of the halls where Lelouch, Nunally and Clovis were. They smiled when they saw her, Lady Marianne had put on a lovely pink and white dress on her, with a bow tied in the back, matching the ones in her hair. Nunally smiled at her. “Adelice, you look so pretty!”, Nunally exclaimed running up to her, giving her a hug. Adelice smiled and hugged her back, as they approached the two boys and made their way to the grand hall where the ball was actually taking place.

 The children stepped into a lavish room adorned with purple and gold. There was a beautifully laid purple velvet carpet for them to walk in. The walls milky white with purple and gold banners with the Britannian emblem on them, hanging from the ceiling and along them. She felt suddenly claustrophobic as she walked into the room. The air was thick with the pompous attitude of nobility making her walk closer to Clovis and Lelouch for comfort.

 A clanging could be heard as someone tapped their utensil against their empty wine glass to gain all the nobles attention. “We're here to celebrate the marriage of two families.”, one of the nobles said, holding up his wine glass in a toast to the new couple. Adelice payed no more attention to them and stayed with her friends, where she was safe.

 As the evening progressed into the later hours the live band started to play classical music and nobles started to dance. Adelice smiled as Clovis took Nunally's hand and danced with her. She took the time to quietly sneak away to the balcony without any one noticing. Feeling the cool air on her face was such a relief in that stuffy room she was having a hard time trying to breathe with the dress closely hugging her body.

 She smiled as she looked out at the millions of little lights around her, the buildings and houses all lit up in the distance, they looked almost like little fireflies. She turned around as she heard the balcony door open, afraid that she would get into trouble. Her eyes quickly looked for a place to hide but there was no where to. She frowned and was about to run when she heard a familiar voice call her name.

 “Adelice, why are you out here?”, Lelouch asked, walking up to her. She smiled and shook her head. “I was admiring the lights.”, she said pointing to them. Lelouch looked and then turned back to her. “Do you not like parties?”, Lelouch asked, frowning a little. “No, I do... I just feel weird with all the nobles around me.”, she answered, turning her eyes away.

 “Adelice?”, he called her, making her turn her blue eyes back to him. “When we're older, lets leave, together.. You, Me, and Nunally. Let's leave the nobility behind.”, Lelouch said looking into her blue eyes. A giggle came from her lips as she smiled big. “And Nunally and I would be your wives?”, she asked, looking up at his purple eyes, giggling when he blushed.

 Lelouch turned his eyes away from her, trying to hide his blush. Adelice smiled and hugged him, wrapping her arms around his waist. Lelouch smiled and rested his head against her head. “I wouldn't mind having you..”, Lelouch whispered making Adelice blush a little at his words. She smiled and shook her head, grabbing his hand. “We should get back~ I don't want Lady Marianne getting upset with us.”, Adelice said, pulling him along with her as the went back into the party.