Ch.12: Alive

"Adelice... oh my god... you're alive....", Euphemia said, tears welling up in her eyes. Adelice smiled a little and nodded, tears welling up in hers too. Euphemia stretched out her hand as Adelice approached her and grabbed her hand. "I thought you were dead...", she whispered, bringing Adelice's hand up to her cheek. "I know..", Adelice whispered and gently tucked some hair behind Euphemia's ear.

One of the guards slowly turned to the two guards standing by the door. "I brought the two hostages that I radioed about earlier for the Lieutenant Colonel to see.". Euphemia and Adelice turned toward the door, Euphemia not letting go of Adelice's hand. Just as the guards were about to open the door, yells and gunshots could be heard from inside.

One of the guards quickly opened the door as he rushed in to see what happened. He was immediately welcomed with a gunshot to the shoulder, making him drop his gun. "Calm yourselves.", a voice called from inside. Adelice frowned as she looked upon the figure of Zero, a deep frown forming on her face. "Zero...", Euphemia said, squeezing Adelice's hand.

"The Lieutenant and the others committed suicide when they realized how meaningless this operation was.", Zero continued. Somehow Adelice didn't believe what he was saying, how could she ever trust the man that killed Clovis. That act was unforgivable. "Euphemia, you were willing to sacrifice yourself for the commoners. You haven't changed."

Euphemia frowned and watched as Zero took a step closer to them. Adelice frowned and was about to run and pull Euphemia with her but Zero stopped her before she could. "Do not bother running, Lady Everard. You both are safest with me.", Zero said, making Adelice frown more. Somehow she doubted that. Another pressing matter, how did this man know her name? Perhaps he had heard her when she yelled but... no... that was impossible she had been sever halls down. There was no way he could have heard her.

"I request both of these ladies alone.", Zero said, motioning for the guards to get out from the doorway. The guards looked from one another but ultimately decided that they didn't stand much of a chance and walked outside the door, shutting it behind them. Adelice's eyes never left Zero as she tried desperately to figure out a way that both her and Euphemia could escape.

Euphemia slowly walked toward Zero, pulling Adelice along. "I heard you are the sub-viceroy now, your highness.", Zero said, staring at Euphemia. "It's not an appointment I'm happy with.", Euphemia answered. "No. It's because Clovis was murdered. That was my handy work.", Zero answered making Adelice frown deeper, her eyes watering a little at the thought of Clovis.

"He begged pathetically for his life to the very end. He pleaded with the same tongue that ordered the death's of elevens.", Zero said, no hesitation at all in his words. Adelice glared at him. "Is that the reason you killed Clovis?", she asked, softly. "No.", he answered her, straight forward. "Then why?! Why did you kill my brother?!", Euphemia yelled at him.

Zero stayed silent for a moment and then took a step forward. "Because Clovis was an offspring of the Britannian Emperor.", Zero answered. "That reminds me... you're one of his children too..aren't you?", Zero asked as he lifted up a gun and pointed at Euphemia. Adelice adrenalin kicked in quickly as she pushed Euphemia back with her hand and stepped in front of her, holding her arms out to both sides, shielding her.

"Adelice...", Euphemia whispered, surprised by her action, frowning a little. No one moved as silence fell over them. Adelice glared at Zero who slowly lowered his gun. "You would give your life for each other.", Zero said, more to himself then to Adelice or Euphemia. Adelice hands slowly fell to her side as she slowly nodded to his statement. Silence fell over them again as she waited for Zero to say something.

Suddenly a white knightmare appeared from outside, Adelice watched as he shot at the building making the whole building shake. Adelice bit her lip, it was now or never for her to run with Euphemia. She quickly grabbed her hand and dragged her with her toward the door.