Ch 8: A Helpless Wish

Adelice smiled as they all took their seats for dinner. She sat next to Lelouch who took his usual place at the head of the table. Nunally sat on the other side of him. Suzaku sitting next to Adelice listening to Nunally talk. She held out another Origami crane that she had folded. Adelice smiled and turned to Suzaku. “Nunally's been experimenting with the art of Origami. It's a beautiful tradition.”, she said.

 “Yes. They say if you make a thousand of these cranes that you will get one special wish. I've thought long and hard about it but I came up with the perfect one.”, Nunally said setting the crane back onto the table. “What are you gonna wish for Nunally?”, Adelice asked leaning over the table a little. Nunally shook her head. “If I told you the cranes wouldn't grant my wish, they might hear you.”, she said, giggling softly.

 “Though... I suppose I could whisper it so they don't hear it before I've completed the final crane.”, she said, motioning for Adelice to come closer. Adelice raised an eyebrow but figured she should just play along. She walked around the table and knelt down next to Nunally, gently taking her hand into her own. Nunally turned her head and whispered into Adelice's ear.

 Lelouch watched Adelice as her eyes widened and became glossy with tears. He frowned a little wondering what Nunally could have said. Suzaku stared at the two girls not wanting to move as he watched a tear roll down Adelice's cheek. She turned to Nunally slowly. “That's a wonderful wish, Nunally.”, she said softly, trying to keep her voice as steady as possible.

 She quickly walked back around and to her seat as Sayoko came back with their meal. Adelice smiled at Sayoko as she put her plate down. “Thank you Sayoko, it looks wonderful.”, she said, unfolding a napkin onto her lap. The meal consisted of smoked salmon and an assorted raw vegetable salad tossed with sesame seeds and olive oil.

 Suzaku thanked Sayoko as he quickly dug into the salmon. “So tell me Suzaku, you will spend the night? Won't you?”, Nunally asked as Lelouch poured some warm green tea into everyone’s cup. “Suzaku's enrolled as a student at Ashford academy so you can see him whenever you want.”, Lelouch said, setting the tea pot down. Nunally smiled brightly and turned in Suzaku's general direction. “Is that true?”, she asked excitedly.

 “Well... I still have military duties..”, Suzaku said, making Adelice take a big gulp of tea to prevent herself from talking. “So.. I can't be here everyday.”, Suzaku finished, plopping a piece of the salmon into his mouth. “Oh dear... you're still in the military?”, Nunally asked, a frown tugging at her lips. Adelice stayed absolutely quiet and quickly took a bite of salmon, anxious to hear what Suzaku was going to say.

 She couldn't help but feel the same as Nunally. She hated the military.. why Suzaku was hell bent on being in it was beyond her. “Don't worry, I've been reassigned to the engineering core. It's much less dangerous.”, he said, giving both girls a warm smile. Adelice let a breath go that she hadn't realized she'd been holding.

 Relief spread over her knowing that at least Suzaku wouldn't be in the heat of battle. He would still be in danger but.. anything was better then being a soldier. “Oh cool. Engineering, huh?”, Lelouch said, trying to make the atmosphere light once again. He poured Adelice and Nunally a little more and then stood from his chair realizing that the tea pot was almost empty.

 Suzaku quickly stood up when he did. “Oh, let me help you!”, he said. Lelouch shook his head and smiled. “You just sit down. Unlike seven years ago, we get to be your hosts now.”, Lelouch answered. Adelice nodded and reached for Suzaku's arm, grabbing it softly. “Yes, Suzaku please sit. You're a guest.”, she assured him.

 “It's funny you're a lot more mellow then when you used to be.”, Lelouch said, his violet eyes slightly glazed over remembering the past. Adelice smiled softly as she remembered the time they had climbed up a mountain to one of the shrines. It had been one of their adventures as children. Lelouch and Suzaku had always been squabbling over who was the strongest to impress her and Nunally.