Ch.14: The Suitcase

Most of the student council had left by the end of the day. Adelice sat in a chair by the large meeting table as Suzaku continued to work on Arthur's home, adding new parts to it. Lelouch came in and sat beside her, grabbing hold of a magazine.

"Lelouch, honestly... did you go out gambling with Rivalz again?", she asked, crossing her arms over her chest. "No. The school nurse informed me that Nunally had a little fever. Sayako was busy so I took Nunally home during lunch to help.", Lelouch said, flipping open the magazine.

"Oh dear, I didn't know. I would have gone to help if you had called me.", Adelice said. "No need, the best thing for her to do is rest.", Lelouch answered. "I hope she feels better soon. I can't very well come over if she's sick.", Suzaku said as he attached a little dangling toy for Arthur on top of the new home.

Lelouch smirked slightly and turned his head a little bit toward Suzaku. "I can't believe you teared up... it's so embarrassing.", Lelouch said, a slight tease to his tone. Adelice leaned over and hit him softly. "Be nice, Lelouch.", she said, giving him a look.

"It's called being honest.", Suzaku said back as he attached another part to Arthur's house. Adelice giggled as she saw Arthur jump down and bite Suzaku's finger. "Honestly, Arthur seems to really love you.", she said sarcastically. She stood up quickly and walked over to Arthur, petting his head softly to relax him.

"Come on Arthur, don't be mean to Suzaku. He's our friend.", she said softly. Arthur purred softly as she ran her fingers through his soft hair and slowly let go of him as his eyes got a sleepy look to them. Adelice smiled at Suzaku. "I think you should wear protective gloves whenever you come into this room, Suzaku.", she said, smiling. Suzaku laughed slightly and held his hand in his other.

Adelice walked back to where she had been previously sitting as Lelouch's eyes peeked at her from behind his magazine. "Well it's a good thing The Black Knights were there to save them...that's all I can say..", he said, reaching to turn the page with the tips of his fingers. Adelice bit her bottom lip at the mention of them again sat down, keeping her blue eyes away from both boys.

Suzaku cleared his throat a little at the comment and then stood up. His green eyes traveled to Lelouch. "If they wanted to catch criminals then they could have joined the police force, you know? Why don't they I wonder...", Suzaku said, making Adelice frown a little.

There wasn't anything the police could do and what did it matter if an independent organization saved them? I mean... either way they would have been safe so whether it was through the police or not didn't really matter. She bit her lip, not wanting to say anything as she rested her head in the palm of her hand.

She couldn't even believe that Suzaku could find it in himself to trust the police or anything involved with Britannia after they had almost executed him. They had been ready to kill him right then and there without hesitation yet, he was still forgiving. If she was in the same position, she would have never forgiven them.

Though, the more she thought about it... that's how Suzaku was, he was always so forgiving. No matter what anyone did, he always seemed to find a place in his heart to forgive them. She admired that about his character. It was something she would never be able to do.

Adelice turned her head to look at Lelouch who had a slight scowl. After a little bit of silence Lelouch finally broke it. "They probably don't think the cops are up to the job. I tend to agree", he answered, looking back at the pictures in the magazine.

His tone had been stern and slightly argumentative. She could see that this conversation going in a bad direction. It was true that these two were best friends but at the same time they definitely had different opinions when it came to justice...but what was that tone in Lelouch's voice? Defensive perhaps? It sounded almost as if he agreed with what Zero was doing.