Chapter 42

| Revised Chapter |

| Revised Chapter |

Stiles POV

I rushed into the ER, the sound of my dress shoes clacking against the linoleum. I made a B-Line for Layla's hospital room, only to be stopped by my dad. "You know, it's a good thing we're in a hospital because I'm going to kill you."

"Look I'm sorry," I apologized, almost chocking on my own spit as I saw Layla lying there in the hospital bed. Her skin looked pale and there was a large bandage wrapped around her head. "I lost the keys to my Jeep, I had to run all the way here."

"Stiles! I don't care."

"Is she going to be okay?" My dad looked back to see Layla's mom gently stroking back her daughters hair.

"They don't know, she just came out of brain surgery, she had a bleed but it was minor and they fixed it before she'd have any harmful defects." The sheriff ran his hand over his greying hair that was thinning with old age. "They don't know what happened. They've lost a lot of blood, but there's something else going on with her."

"What do you mean?" I asked fearfully, Lydia was bitten so she would be turning into a werewolf soon and if a doctor had seen anything weird—large claws, sharp fangs, glowing yellow eyes, I needed to know so we could find a way to keep our cover from being blown.

"Doctors say that Lydia's having an allergic reaction to whatever happened to her and Layla, Lord knows what's wrong with her." Doctors shuffled past, picking up her clipboard and adding a few things to the sheets before leaving again. "The weird thing is when Layla was being driven here, she woke up and grabbed Lydia's hand. Almost immediately, Lydia's vitals got better and her heartbeat was stronger. Doctors say it was like Layla gave Lydia her energy. Then after surgery, Layla's been having these really violent seizures. They're random but each time she does, she always mumbles someone's name."

I leaned in closer, retaining every word he spoke. "Whose?"

"Derek."

My dad stopped me from walking further into the hospital, they wouldn't let me in the room. Visiting hours were over for anyone who wasn't immediate family. "Stiles, just wait with your friends."

"Dad, no." I denied, following him down the halls. "We know it has something to do with Derek."

"I thought you two said you barely knew him," He interrogated, making me wish I didn't lie so much.

"Alright we might know him a little better than that."

Sheriff Stilinski grabbed my neck tightly and lowered his voice. "You do realize that I'm elected this job right?"

"I can help you figure this out, and if we do, you'll be re-elected. Dad come on."

"You know what, that girl has got nothing to do with a six-year old arson case."

"Actually, she does. More importantly, when did you decide that it was definitely arson." I questioned eagerly, hoping for information.

"Well, we have a key witness and no, I'm not telling you who it is. But yeah, it was arson. It was probably done by a young woman."

"What young woman?" I pressed, wondering if the witness gave a fairly close description of Kate Argent.

He rolled his eyes at me. "If I knew, she'd be in jail."

"Was she young then or is she young now?"

Annoyed with my interrogation, he answered with less and less patience in his voice. "She's probably in her late twenties. I've gotta grab this call."

"You don't know her name?"

"No! I don't—what is this? Twenty questions? All we know she had a very distinctive," He snapped his fingers, trying to find the right word. "—what do you call it. A pendent."

I could feel my eye twitch in frustration. "What the hell is a pendent!"

"Stiles, do you go to school? A pendent its a necklace. Now can I answer the phone?"

"Yes!"

"Thank you!" He shouted answering the phone and stating his name.

Then it hit me. A distinct pendant.

Allison's necklace.