Chapter 10

|Revised Chapter|

|Revised Chapter|

Layla POV

"Jackson why won't you come?," I beg, following his around the room as he got dressed. "I go to all your lacrosse games? Why can't you just return the favor?" He turned around and stared me straight in the eye, the tiny flecks of green lighting up as his annoyance made itself clear like a strong perfume.

"I always return the favor."

I rolled my eyes, my hands resting themselves on my hips. "I don't mean it in a sexual way Jackson. I just want your support for once. I want—"

"Layla it's not happening." He denies, leaving no room for change. "Let it go." Tears welled up in my eyes and I turned to face the wall.

"Alright, but just so you know the next dance is a bit more intimate than usual."

I wanted him to get jealous, getting so jealous at the thought of another (very attractive) males hands on my body. "Whatever." I nodded my head in defeat, and picked up my backpack. I walked over to the door of his room and turned the handle.

"Where are you going?" He asked while chasing after me, rushing quicker to finish getting what he needed.

"I have to get ready for tonight," I inform, taking my keys from my jacket pocket. "—just pick me up from my place." Jackson whipped his hand out and pressed the door shut.

He looked worried, his hands were shaking slightly as his face held a sense of urgency and worry. "Are you leaving me?" He whispered on my neck, his hot breath usually giving me goosebumps but it didn't this time.

"Not yet, Whittemore."

---

"I don't understand it, Danny." I sucked in a sob and wiped my tears. I readjusted the phone and threw the poofy skirt on that was especially tight on my hips so it wouldn't slip or budge while I danced. "He just makes me feel like the relationship is one sided."

"Listen Lays, Jackson does love you." He assured calmly. I was on speaker, I could tell from how his voice would be close then go distant for a moment, but I couldn't blame him, we were both getting ready. "But he's terrible at showing his feelings. I know the relationship feels one sided but it's not, I swear. Just don't break up with him yet, you'll kill him if you do." Danny pleaded over the phone, but I rolled my eyes in anger.

"Maybe I will, just so he'll finally understand how I feel," I took a deep breath to calm my nerves. "I'm gonna call you back later Danny. I just really need to think things through. I deserve much more than what he's giving me."

"I know Lays, just call me later." I nodded even though he couldn't hear me.

"Love you, Danny."

"Love you too, Layla." I hung up and fell backwards on my bed. I closed my eyes and wished that things could get better.

My thoughts were inturrepted by soft taps on my window. I had heard them through the phone call, but assumed that it was the cord of my flat iron swinging and hitting the wall. I stand up quickly and walk over to the window, slow cautious steps in case it was someone who didn't need to be invited into my home.

A dark figure was rested on my balcony his back to me, and I almost didn't open the doors to my balcony until I recognized that spiked up hair style that shown through the moonlight that had me sliding open the door and acknowledge his presence.

"Derek? What are you doing here?" I asked after I glanced in the mirror to make sure the crying I just did wasn't visible on my cheeks.

He turned to face me, still staying outside. "I could feel your pain," His green eyes ran over my body, checking for any visible injuries, and once he couldn't find any it seemed like he was staring into my soul.

I furrowed my eyebrows. "I'm not hurt though?"

"I'm your brother." The words made the air around us change, it made the interaction between us seem more familiar and safe. "When you feel pain, whether it be emotional or physical. I feel it."

I gave him a confused look and questions racked my brain.

Why is he feeling my emotions?

Could he always feel them?

"I can only feel your emotions when you're in pain or in danger. The bond doesn't distictify which is which. That's why I came."

I gave my older brother a lopsided smile. "Thanks but I'm fine. Just some issues with Jackson. Nothing I've never delt with before. I'm used to it," I laughed at the brutal truth behind my words.

I was used to Jackson treating me poorly. I was used to Jackson, and him degrading me. I was used to him blowing off my dance career. I was used to it all, but didn't want to be anymore.

"I think you should break up with him."

"I didn't ask for your opinion," I retorted snarkily. I didn't need him messing with my already clouded judgement on whether I should keep Jackson or not.

He was right though, I should leave him. I'd given Jackson so many chances I wasn't even sure there was a number for it anymore, but I'd been with him for so long that if I left him, I wouldn't know what to do without him. He's all I've ever known and I'd already adjusted to more change that I could handle.

Me knowing about the adoption put a strain on the already poor relationship between me and my mom, she stayed at work later now, not coming home until four in the morning sleeping for a few hours and leaving before I woke up for school.

Derek walked into my room, shutting the balcony door behind him. "I don't care if you asked or not." He looked over my room, silently approving the rack of vinyls and CD's that took place on the left side of my room. "I gave it to you, someone needed to be honest and tell you that your boyfriend treats you badly. I think even you know that he does."

"What happens between Jackson and I, stays between Jackson and I, okay?" I raised a freshly plucked eyebrow, daring him to go against me.

Derek's green eyes bored into my brown ones and he sighed. "Whatever, but when he dumps you. I'm saying I told you so."

"Why?"

"Because you should dump him first and save yourself the heartache and the Ben and Jerry's I know that you have in your mini-fridge." I turned to look at my red mini-fridge then looked back at Derek only to see he wasn't there and my curtains were shaking.

"That smug little bastard." I scoffed before walking to my phone and plugged it in the charger. I noticed a text and checked it.

From: Jackson

I'm sorry. I love you.

I stared at the text for a minute and all the confusion and anger diminished, and yet again, I sucked into his spell.

To: Jackson

I forgive you.