Father of the Year

"...and here's my number, so call me maybe! It's hard to look-"

Wally rubbed a hand across his face as he answered his phone. He spared a glance at the clock on his desk, wondering when exactly he had dozed off. Probably sometime between the pre-calculus study guide and the thousand word essay on The Great Gatsby. Whatever, he'd get it all done...eventually.

"What's up, Uncle Barry?"

He fought off a yawn as he caught the gist of the situation. Big baddie terrorizing the East Coast, all hands needed within the immediate area, Flashes were required to participate seeing as distance is never an issue for them. Stretching back until he heard a small pop, Wally slowly rotated one shoulder while he balanced his phone with the other.

"Got it, be there soon."

"Don't you mean 'In a flash?'  Awe, c'mon Kid!  That was-"

Wally hung up the call, seriously debating if he should even bother to grace his uncle with his presence after that poor excuse for humor. However, he knew he shouldn't punish all the unfortunate civilians caught up in this mess just because Barry was annoying. That wouldn't be acting like a real hero. Shoving his phone along with a set of civvies into his backpack, Wally quickly changed into his Kid Flash outfit.  He tried not to wince as the various papers and writing utensils on his desk went flying across his room.  Whatever, he'd clean it up...eventually.  Though, that didn't stop the fact that Wally had just broken the "no powers in the house on school nights" rule.  Or the fact that he was about to break the "no superhero-ing until all of your homework is done, Wallace" rule.  Taking a deep breath, Wally held the strap of his backpack tightly with one hand as he opened his bedroom door.

He could hear the distorted voice of his aunt playing through the living room TV. The flashing lights illuminated the stairs as he attempted to quietly make his way down. Unfortunately, the aging wood steps were not on his side, as a loud creak cut into the sound of his aunt. Wally felt his heart begin to race when it became clear that the show was now paused.

Please be mom, please be mom, please be-

It wasn't his mom. Rudolph West towered over his son, arms crossed. A look of disdain crossed his face when he noticed that Wally was in his super suit.

"I know I'm not supposed to go out this late on a school night, but Uncle Barry called, and I didn't run out of the house this time, so..."

Rudolph appeared unimpressed with Wally's feeble attempt at crafting an excuse, causing the teen to drop it.

"You didn't finish your homework, did you Wallace?"  His tone sounded almost exasperated, as if he already knew Wally's answer.  "Your mother and I have these rules in place for a reason."

"I know that," Wally braced himself against the railing, "but they need my help!  I can't just sit around and let people get hurt-"

"You used to!"  Rudolph shouted.  "You were born a NORMAL kid, Wallace!  A NORMAL kid, that was supposed to grow up into a NORMAL adult, with a NORMAL job, and have a NORMAL life!  I swear, since the day Iris brought that man into my home and around my family-"

A surge of protectiveness flashed behind Wally's eyes.  "Don't talk about Uncle Barry like that-"

"Don't tell me how to talk about people in my own house!"