Double Edged Sword

"You are to cease all investigation into the children apprehended by the team while in Gotham."

The room went silent as any form of greeting died on Superman's lips.  The hologram of Batman appeared undaunted by the other heroes' reactions, and continued on with what sounded suspiciously like a prepared statement.

"I entered Mt. Justice and retrieved the two in question earlier tonight. Afterward, I wiped the security footage."  He didn't exactly take a breath, but there was a slight hesitation before his next words.  "The fact of the matter, is that Nightwing and Robin were both trained under my sanction. By myself."

The quiet of the room lasted for another half a second, before a sonic boom named The Flash shattered everyone's headlight reveries, along with a few eardrums.

"YOU WHAT?!"

All hell pretty much broke loose after that outburst. Several of the heroes began shouting over each other, demanding an array of answers from Batman. Superman, however, stood in stunned horror as he let the ringing settle in his ears. His mind focused in on the boy during the interrogation.  He had acted rather chipper, though wholly uncooperative, throughout the questioning, and there was absolutely nothing about him to suggest that he possessed a connection to Batman. It was a far more plausible theory to Superman that some underground villain was creating a secret army of child soldiers, than the idea that Batman was a...mentor. The words "Batman" and "mentor" clashed in the Kryptonian's mind, as their mutual exclusivity seemed to cancel out any coherent thoughts. Well that, and all of the yelling currently bombarding his super hearing!

"Settle down everyone, PLEASE!"

Superman rubbed his temples as the other heroes reluctantly reeled themselves in. After it seemed that everyone had heeded his words, Superman turned to the hologram. 

"Now, Batman," he let a strained smile rest on his face, as he forced his voice to stay leveled.  "Did you, as you've stated, train two protégés without the knowledge of the Justice League?"

"No.  I did not."

Superman let out a sigh and faced the rest of the room. 

"See?  I'm confident that there is a logical and reasonable explanation-"

"I trained four."

Superman eyed the image of Batman, and upon realizing that the caped crusader was completely serious, he looked over at the Flash, exasperated.

"Barry, go ahead."

"Ahem.  YOU WHAT?!"

Superman had thankfully decided to plug his ears this time. Before the table of heroes could once again start their erratic questioning, he stopped them. As the highest ranking member NOT currently on trial for violating league guidelines, it was on Superman to direct this interrogation. Hopefully it would go better than that of Batman's...student. With a deep breath, he put on a frown and got to work.

"I want to preface by expressing just how disappointed I am with you."  Superman ignored the intense feeling that Batman was rolling his eyes behind his cowl. "And, I believe that the feeling is shared amongst the rest of the members." He gestured to the others.

There was little reaction past a few stiff nods that could easily be mistaken for a quick neck stretch, as well as a quiet cough from Green Arrow.

"Anyway," Superman fought the urge to roll his own eyes, "perhaps you could explain why exactly you didn't officially declare your protégés? You know, like literally all of the other mentors have been REQUIRED to do since the first reports of Speedy in Star City?"