A Night Out

Superboy glanced over his shoulder yet again, probably the fifth time since they landed in front of the warehouse.

"Is everything alright?"  M'gann asked, obviously noticing his behavior.

"It's fine, must just be a couple of birds or something," he answered, secretly unsure of his guess.

"Is something the matter?"  Aqualad suddenly chimed in.

"No, it's alright, I just heard a noise." 

Aqualad seemed satisfied enough with the answer, though it's not like they had time to dwell on any mystery noises of the night.  Quickly, he refocused and went over plans from earlier.

"KF will scout out the location and determine where the guards are, as well as the amount of armed enforcers.  We are NOT to engage just yet..."

Superboy could hardly concentrate, and no matter how hard he tried to pay attention to Aqualad, he found himself unintentionally tuning him out in favor of trying to decipher the noises.  The sounds were definitely a ways off, and whatever was making them was purposely trying to keep a quieter tone.  After a few moments of intense listening, Superboy could make out at least two separate sources, indicating a possible...conversation?  If only he were a bit closer, or maybe-

"Doesn't look too bad actually!"

Superboy was startled back into reality by Kid Flash's report, honestly, he hadn't even realized the boy had left, much less when Aqualad had finished speaking. 

"Alright then, let's get going!"  Everyone followed closely behind their leader, leaving Superboy to lag behind.  Shaking his head, he took one last hard look towards the distant rooftops before joining the team.

***
"Would you RELAX already?!  See, he left, so he clearly didn't see us!"

Shaking his head nervously, the young boy absently tugged at his black cape as it flew loosely behind him in the nightly breeze.  "I don't know, maybe you just didn't have your mask zoomed in far enough.  It really looked like he noticed us, and if he's like Superman-"

"You're such a worrier!"  The older one growled as he tucked a stray tuft of black hair underneath his crimson hood.  "How do you even get through patrols?"

"Well, patrols usually don't entail stalking Justice League members," he lowered his voice as he glanced towards the city, "or disobeying Dad."

"Oh please," the older one rolled his eyes rather dramatically, "we've uncovered probably one of the biggest secrets in our LIFETIMES, and you're scared 'Daddy's' going to be disappointed? You're pathetic!"

"It's going to be the end of our lifetimes if he finds us."

"That's why he won't, you read the files, he's off with the rest of the league on some mission. And, as far as he or anyone else knows, we're in our beds dreaming about the last mental patient we threw off a building."

The younger boy sent an incredulous glare, "Yeah, right. Tell me, oh wise elder 'brother', what happens when-"

"When what, exactly?"

Suddenly, both boys froze. They didn't dare face their adversary as he strode forwards, his steps quieter than the faint autumn breeze. His shadow loomed over the two, encasing them within his grasp. As he finally reached the glow of a nearby streetlight, his livid expression did nothing to ease their fear. Slowly, he crossed his arms, the azure fabric almost battling against the combined shades of ruby the two younger ones brandished.