False Impressions

"He's a total jerk to me ALL day, and then he goes and sells the stupid photo to the press?!  I mean seriously!  Who does something like this?"

Ollie nodded as Artemis went back to ranting under her breath.  After one last glare at her phone, Artemis announced that she was "going to get something to drink," and then left for the kitchen.  Truthfully, had he not seen the picture himself, Ollie wouldn't have been able to believe that she had been describing Richard Grayson-Wayne of all kids!  He had known that boy since a month after Bruce had first adopted him, and there was never indication that he could act so coldly towards anyone. The kid was the type to melt hearts, not break them. Bruce was clear evidence of that.

***
Seeing as Bruce was a newly adoptive father, Ollie decided to stop by and give his good friend some advice.  After all, he had already been through all of the same with Roy.  He knew exactly how hard it could be for the "uninitiated," as adopting a child was nothing like how Annie made it seem on screen. Especially one with the types of background details he managed to dig up on the poor kid prior to his visit. And no, it was not through a misuse of Justice League resources. A well paid P.I. can be just as useful.

Point was, Ollie walked into the Wayne Manor expecting to see a juvenile delinquent and a broken man ready to give up his billions if it meant an hour of free time.  What he ACTUALLY found was possibly the equivalent of a Hallmark movie crossed with Full House in terms of how heartwarming the family setting all was. Draped across Bruce's shoulders, the little boy was simultaneously eating a large cookie, balancing a glass of chocolate milk on his head, and reading the newspaper alongside Bruce. He was pretty sure they were even reading the comics. Ollie had found himself stuttering out of embarrassment when Bruce asked what the purpose of his surprise visit was.  He managed to save himself from further humiliation by just telling him that he wanted to come see the newest addition to the Wayne family in person.  He wasn't there to check up on them or anything.  Bruce was never the wiser.  Not much happened past meeting the young Dickie, immediately deciding that the kid was to be protected to his full capacity as a hero forever, and a promise to bring Roy with him next time (Ollie tried not to look like he noticed the glance exchanged between Bruce and his butler when he brought up his own adoptive son). However, the one thing that visit made clear to Ollie was that Bruce was definitely meant to be a parent.

***
And, up until now, he thought that his best friend was doing a stand up job. Even after taking in three more children so soon after, Bruce seemed to be managing as a single father just fine. Even better than Ollie felt himself doing, and he just has one young adult son and a fake niece to care for. Speaking of, it really wouldn't do for Artemis to try and kill Dick. As cliche as it sounded, Ollie was sure that there was some kind of misunderstanding about it all. In fact, placing himself in the middle of a public scandal (because nothing with the caption "It doesn't fall far from the tree, Gotham's youngest playboy?" could ever be considered anything but for such a famous family) just did not seem like something Dick would subject himself to willingly.  Bruce was also very keen on protecting his sons' images and controlling their public personas, so odds were high that his best friend probably hadn't even seen the article yet.  Maybe, Ollie should email it to him?  On that note, he also might want to alert Bruce to the other concerning behavior that Dick has shown Artemis.  Bullying for any reason is just not on fleek...Ollie thinks that's how that word is used at least. If he's able to play his cards right, as well as keep their superhero identities secured, then perhaps the four of them could have a proper sit down and discuss this like calm, rational-

"Hey!  Stop right there!"

Ollie snapped to attention as the sound Artemis's voice and what could be an altercation out in the hallway. He immediately raced towards the sound, readying his bow. He wasn't going to let his fake niece go without back up, not while he was here (and conscious), at least! However, Ollie was not prepared for this. Artemis was frozen in place, her posture a cross between fight or flight.