16

I ran as fast as I could back to John B's house, but I had to take the long way so Rafe didn't see me on the main roads. 

Reaching John B's house, the first thing I did was unlock my car and get into it. It was dark out now and I knew exactly where I was headed first. The Sheriff's Station. I started the car and drove as fast as I could. 

It took me about ten minutes, but when I got there, I parked my car on the side of the road and walked in. I saw the lady at the front desk and approached her. "Hi, I need to report a crime," I said. She didn't even look at me.

I was literally covered in blood and she had me wait. "One moment." She said as she was focused on something else. I sat down and waited for her to call me. My hands were shaking as I looked down to see all the blood on them. 

The front door opened and in walked John B. "Scar?" He said. I stood up and sighed a breath of relief. "Thank God," I said as I hugged him and he hugged me back. We both went up to the receptionist this time. 

"Uhm... excuse me, ma'am?" John B started. We were both shaking. "This is not a good time, kids." She said without even looking at us. "We know who shot the Sheriff." John B said. Then she finally took a good look at us. I was covered in blood and John B had blood on his hands. 

"You two stay put. I'll get a deputy." She said as she got up. We overheard the police scanner as Shoupe's voice came through it. "Central, three Vick. We have a suspect in our 31. John Routledge." We heard over the scanner.

John B and I looked at each other in shock. "You've gotta be fucking kidding me," I said to myself. "They can't seriously think that you did this," I said to him. "Copy that. All units, be on the lookout for John B Routledge." Responded another officer over the scanner.

"Sixteen-year-old white male. Six foot. Last seen wearing board shorts, a 'Bad Brains' T-shirt, and a faded red hoodie." Shoupe said through the scanner. Two deputies came out and put their hands on their holsters.

I stood in front of John B so they couldn't shoot him. "Just... breathe. All right?" Said the female deputy to John B. "Let me see your hands." Said the male deputy. "Miss, I need you to move away from the suspect." Said the female deputy. 

I shook my head no. John B took his hands out of his pockets and put them in the air. "Look, I didn't... I didn't do it, okay?" John B said with a shaky voice. "Don't... move." Said the male deputy. "He didn't do it," I said to them. 

John B then ran out of the Sheriff's department and I followed behind him. "Kie! Start the car!" He shouted as we ran over to the car. John B sat in the backseat with Pope and I sat in the front. "John B? What did you do?" Kie shouted. 

They all looked at me and John B in shock. "Kie drive!" I shouted. She started the car and drove. The cops were on the car door trying to get John B. "Stop the car!" Shouted the cops. "John B, open the door!" I shouted. He did and the cop fell off of the car as we sped off. 

"Jesus, Scarlett! You're covered in blood." Pope pointed out. "What? Where? I didn't notice! Thank you very much, Pope!" I said sarcastically. "Are you okay?" JJ asked me. I looked back at him and he was genuinely worried about me. 

"It doesn't matter. They think John B shot Peterkin." I said. "What?" JJ asked me. "Ward must've told them it was John B instead of Rafe. I mean, your car is there and you've quite literally got blood on your hands." I explained. 

Kie pulled into what looked like an abandoned farmhouse and we stayed there as the sun rose. Pope and I had switched seats so I could lie down in the back and relax, and JJ eventually came out of the trunk and sat next to me.