18

We pulled up to JJ's house, and he looked worried but tried to put on a brave face.

"Home sweet home." He said sarcastically as he looked at his house. "Do you want us to come?" Kie asked him. "Yeah, we'll go," I said to JJ. He shook his head quickly. "Nah. This will only take a second." He said as he opened the car door and took his bag with him. 

Kie and I looked at each other with worry as he made his way into the house. He looked back at me and I gave him a comforting smile which he returned. 

"Did he ever tell you about his dad?" Kie asked me out of curiosity. I shook my head. "No. But I've heard things. Everyone has." I stated. She nodded. "You ever tell him about your parents?" She asked me.

I locked eyes with her through the rearview mirror. "No," I said plainly. "Have you heard from them?" She asked me. "Kie--" I started but she stopped me. "Scar, come on. Don't shut me out." She said as she turned around and looked at me.

I sighed. "No. I haven't heard from them in years. Last I heard, Frank is still running from the feds." I told her about my father. She nodded. "What about your mom?" She asked me. I sighed again, "Kathleen is in a nice padded cell in a psych ward in Philidelphia."

Her eyebrows raised. "You asked," I said. I didn't talk much about my parents. They left me to fend for myself, but I'm still here. Why waste my time thinking about them or talking about them? I don't want people thinking I'm going around looking for pity with my childhood sob story.

She smiled softly at me as she put her hand on my knee. "Thank you for telling me." She said. I shifted uncomfortably as she spoke. "It's not a big deal, Kie. Just drop it." I stated, and she did. 

Soon enough, JJ came out of his house with the keys to The Phantom in his hand. With his red eyes and wet cheeks, it was clear he was upset. Kie started the engine as JJ got in the car. "How'd it go?" Kie asked. 

He held up the keys with a forced smile, and Kie drove away from JJ's house. 

∴∴∴∴∴

We were on our way to the dock to meet Pope. The three of us were nervous about getting The Phantom to John B and Sarah, but we had to take the risk. "It'll be fine. It'll be fine with The Phantom." JJ said to us.

"She'll get out quick," JJ added. We then heard police sirens and at least three cop cars quickly came into view and passed us. "They're still looking. It's a good sign." Kie said to us. 

A few minutes later, we made it to the dock and parked the car. We headed over to a large storage unit where JJ's dad's boat was. He slid open the door, and there was The Phantom. "There she be. Hey girl." JJ said as he approached the boat. 

JJ took the sheet off of the boat. "A 1983 Formula 402 SR1," JJ said as he looked at the boat with mesmerizing eyes. "The Phantom," I said as I looked at the boat. Kie just nodded, and JJ then proceeded to go into the boat's accomplishments.

"It's kind of a... junker," Kie admitted to JJ. "Really? She's right there, Kie. She can hear you." JJ said, and I would call it a joke, but it didn't seem like one. JJ continued to boast about the boat, but I was distracted by the sound of dirtbikes. Kie heard it too. "Pope. Finally." She said as she made her way outside. 

I had a terrible feeling in my stomach. Rafe would always talk about how when he got a dirtbike, it wouldn't sound like that "piece of shit those pogues ride". He was very particular about the way it sounded, and because of that, I always knew when he was around. 

I stood in front of her and put my hands on her shoulders. "That's not Pope," I said. She looked at me with confusion, then looked behind me in shock. She backed away and I turned around. "Hey, there. What's goin' on?" Rafe said.