27

When JJ and I got into the car where Pope and Kiara were waiting for us, the two immediately flooded me with a million questions. 

"Guys, I don't really feel like talking about it. But, I'm fine." I said to them, and they relaxed a bit, feeling better knowing that I was okay. 

We were on our way to the ferry, and the whole ride there, Kie was venting about a fight she had gotten into with her parents and how her mother threatened to send her to boarding school. Their fight was every typical fight you see in a coming-of-age movie between a mother and daughter.

The daughter comes in all angsty like, "You don't know what I'm going through!" And the mother is like, "I know more than you'd think!" Kie and her mother always have had a rocky relationship. Her mother grew up on Figure Eight as a Kook, and her father grew up on The Cut living the "Pogue life." Then, the two met, and had Kie, which she will never let her mother forget.

Although the two constantly fight, I can't blame Kie's mother. It might seem like she is overprotective and overbearing, but she is just concerned for her daughter. 

We finally drove onto the ferry and we all got out of the car. JJ sat on the roof of the car, Kie sat in the bed, and Pope and I were leaning against the truck. "My parents are so paranoid of me being a Pogue, like it's the worst thing that could ever happen," Kie said.

"Hey, I hear they got good weed at boarding school, though," JJ said as he rolled a joint. "I'm not going to boarding school. They're gonna have to kidnap me, tie me up, and throw me in a van." Kie said. Pope usually would have chimed in with some good advice, but his attention was focused on the letter he received from the Vanderhorst Foundation.

JJ jumped down from the roof and landed on the bed of the truck. "Well, I say... we just crumble some herb right now," JJ said as he hit the joint and inhaled, then handed it to Kie. She took it and took a few hits. "Hey, Kie, have you tried to hit John B back on that number yet?" Pope asked her. 

"Like, twenty million times." She exaggerated. JJ put his hat on backward and laughed. "That's quite a few times." The blond said. "Some random lady at a hotel keeps answering," Kie said. "Well, until we hear from them again, we gotta try and clear his name. Right now, this letter's our best bet." Pope said. 

JJ nodded his head. "Right, stay on task." He said. "That's why I love ya, Pope," JJ said to his best friend. Kie took another hit of the joint, stood up, and handed it to Pope. "What Pope are you gonna be today?" She asked him as she held out the joint for him. 

Pope looked over at me, almost as if his eyes were saying, if you do it, I'll do it. I shook my head and he looked back up at Kie. "I'm good. I'm gonna try to focus." He said. "Good Pope. Boring Pope." She said. Kie then turned to me. "How about you, wallflower?" She asked me, holding out the joint for me.

I shot her a confused look. "Wallflower? That's the last word I'd use to describe myself." I said to her. She nodded. "Well, you're really quiet today." She said. "I just got into a car accident, Kie. Sorry if I'm not up to your social standards." I said with an attitude. "Oh! We've got mean Scarlett today! Beware, people. This is a sight to behold." Kie said with a laugh as she took another hit.

"I'm not being mean at all, Kie. I'm just on edge." I admitted. "Well, so am I. My parents want to send me to boarding school." She said, comparing our situations. "They probably won't if you prove you're trustworthy. Maybe pick up more shifts at The Wreck and spend some more time with them when we get back?" I suggested.

She sighed. "I don't know, man. I can't seem to please them." She confessed as she sat down next to JJ. He looked over at me and gave me a look that read, are you okay? I nodded and looked over at the water.