5

I went home to grab my board so I could catch some waves in the sunset. I opened my shed next to the guest house. I turned the shed into a hangout spot so my friends and I could drink and smoke in there without there being a problem.

I've seen JJ sneak into the shed before and leave it wreaking of weed, but I was too used to the smell to care. I looked around for my board which I couldn't find anywhere, all I saw was my old board that was still in good condition, but I didn't use it. I always put it in the same place. So if it wasn't here... I know exactly who took it.

I didn't mind JJ using our stuff, but my board was expensive and one of my prized possessions. I headed to the beach with the old board where I saw my board and the boy who took it sitting out in the middle of the ocean with his friends.

"Hey, JJ!" I shouted. They all looked over and JJ even looked a bit scared. I knew he was worried about getting fired for taking stuff, especially because it had just happened to John B. He swam out to the shore and approached me.

He pushed his wet hair back but a couple of strands hung loose. His body was wet and it was a sight that I didn't hate seeing. "Hey, look. I'm sorry about taking your board. Mine is all fucked up and--" He spoke but I cut him off.

"I don't care that you use our shit sometimes, but you can't use that board," I said as I took the board from him. "What do you mean? I don't use your--" He tried to cover for himself. "It's fine JJ. I don't care." I said as I handed him the older board.

"What's this?" He asked me. "A surfboard..." I said as I took off my shirt. He looked at me up and down, but I didn't mind. "I see that. Why are you handing it to me?" He asked confused. "You just said your board is all fucked up. Have that one." I said.

I took off my shorts and my shoes. "You're giving me... a surfboard?" He asked me. "Is that so hard to believe? I don't use it and you need a new one... so have it." I said as I ran into the water with my board. He smiled as he went back into the water with his friends.

I caught a few waves before I swam out a bit deeper and sat on my board watching the sunset. "Scarlett!" I heard Kie call me. I looked over and waved at her. "Come hang with us!" She shouted. I saw the boys get a bit nervous but I missed Kie and our times together, so I swam over.

"Hey," I said to her as I propped myself up on the board. "Hey, you have fun out there?" She asked me. "Yeah, I miss my surfer days," I said with a smile. "What do you mean 'surfer days'?" John B questioned. "Scar almost went pro," Kie said proudly.

"Really?" Pope asked with excitement. I nodded my head. "So, why didn't you go pro?" JJ asked me. "I just couldn't," I said sadly. "Well, you killed it out there," Kie said and the guys agreed. "I've never seen a girl surf like that," JJ said. "So you were watching me?" I teased JJ. He looked a bit taken aback, not knowing how to answer my question.

Kie and I laughed a bit. "She's fucking with you, JJ," Kie told him. Soon enough, we all got out of the water as it started to get dark. "Wait, what happened to your face?" Kie asked as she was now just seeing the mark on my face that Rafe accidentally gave me.

JJ and Pope looked at me nervously. "I fell. Too many shots and too many stairs." I said with a laugh. The rest of them joined in. They all said their goodbyes as they got into John B's car. "Wait! I forgot my phone!" JJ said as he ran back onto the beach.

I looked around but I didn't see a phone anywhere. "JJ, there's no phone here," I said to him as I put my shorts back on. "I know." He said with a sigh. He used his finger to turn my face to the side to get a better look at my mark.

"That fucking asshole," JJ said angrily as he referred to Rafe. "It's fine. It was a reflex, he didn't mean it." I said. "No, it's not, Scarlett." He raised his voice. "He's got shit on me, JJ. I'm gonna be as nice about it as I can be." I said as I grabbed my bag and board and walked away.