3. Introductions

"Why are you crying, Ma?" asked a confused six-year-old trying to keep his tears from falling. 

"Nothing Beta," the woman said wiping furiously at her eyes. 

Her voice wavered but he didn't understand why she was lying to him. Hadn't she taught him lying was bad?

Sounds of shattering glass made the little boy flinch as he cowered behind his mother. Why did Baba always get so angry? Was he why his mother was crying? He wanted to protect her but that angry face always terrified him. 

He didn't understand why Baba made Ma cry. There was a lot he didn't understand. 

He hugged his mother tightly as the sounds of shattering glass continued in the distance. 

***

Siddharth sighed and leaned against the Jharokhas in the balcony. Seeing his uncle and aunt had dug up old memories of his father. He had perfected the art of shoving those memories deep inside him and now it was all bursting forth with a fervour. 

He almost flicked the butt of his cigarette but then realized he should probably not mar the beauty of this place so he looked around for a trash can. 

He thought of how seeing his father's relatives would affect his mother. She had experienced that trauma first hand so it would definitely be worse than what he was going through right. 

He walked into their room so he could tell her that he had met Tauji and Taiji. 

He found her sleeping soundly though so he decided not to wake her up. The guests had been invited to High Tea on their arrival day and then dinner in the great hall. It wouldn't be a big deal if she skipped the first event if she made it to the dinner. So he figured a few more hours of sleep would prepare her better for it all. 

He had half a mind to stay behind but he knew his mother would be angry enough that he didn't wake her up that he better go for a little while and show his face. 

He took a shower and placed his all-black outfit in the corner with a small smile on his face. He pulled out a navy shirt and buttoned it up. No confusions now he thought to himself and walked out towards the garden where the event was scheduled. 

It was a pleasant Jaipur evening and about a hundred or so guests milled about the garden area with cups of tea and plates of snacks in their hand. Waiters dressed in traditional attire swarmed the crowd and served intricate pieces of Indian snacks. 

Siddharth had a strategic plan that would help him stay for as little amount of time as possible. He would show his face to his aunt and let her parade him about for a few minutes. Then he would talk to his cousin who was getting married. Then finally he would meet any remaining relatives and leave. 

All his plans were derailed when Chetna of all people blocked his way as soon as he stepped foot in the garden. 

"Hi?" he said, a little confused. 

"Hi, can I do anything for you?" she said in the same monotone. 

"No thank you," Siddharth said amused and taken aback. 

"Great," she said curtly and turned around. 

Then she paused. Siddharth followed her line of sight and found an older woman giving her a pointed look. Chetna sighed and turned back around. Plastering a fake smile on her face she asked,

"Oh please I insist. Tea, coffee, a snack?" 

"I am good. Thank you," he replied. 

The corners of his mouth turned up in amusement. This girl clearly was being forced to serve him.