4. Allies?

As expected Siddharth received an earful from his mother for not waking her up in time for High tea. He took it silently and once she was done he gave her an account of what had happened. 

"Siddharth I think you should sing," she said once he had related that encounter. 

"But Ma I don't want to," he said simply.

"Siddharth what did we agree on? This is a new beginning. If they are extending a friendly hand then the least we can do is shake it." she said. 

Siddharth stared at her frowning. He had several arguments but didn't speak any of them out loud. It would only sour both their moods before the upcoming dinner. 

She got dressed with care for the dinner and soon it was time to head to the dining hall. His mother kept up her facade of strength but he knew how tense she really was under that calm exterior. He squeezed her shoulder and then hugged her from behind. He placed his chin atop her head gently. 

"You're going to be okay, Ma."

"I know." she agreed softly.

"Come on, I am going to be right next to you the whole time."

"You are a good son," she smiled warmly at him.

Together they walked to the dining hall and before they could meet any of their relatives they were accosted by none other than Chetna. 

"Can I do anything for you, Siddharth Ji ?" she asked. 

Siddharth glanced at his mother who seemed confused by this special treatment. 

"Ma this is Chetna. She is Chaarvi's sister," he informed her. 

"Namastey aunty," Chetna said folding her hands and giving his mother a genuine smile. This was different. She usually reserved the sickening fake smile for him. Siddharth had noted she was pretty but that smile made a world of a difference. 

"Namastey Chetna." his mother smiled back at her. 

"Could I get you both something?" she asked. 

"No thank you. That is very kind of you Chetna," his mother said. 

"Actually, I wouldn't mind a glass of water," Siddharth interjected. 

"He can get the glass of water himself," his mother spoke to Chetna but looked at him with a glare.

"It is no trouble at all, aunty. It is my job to take care of our guests. You are after all the groom's side."

"Nonsense, we don't believe in those orthodox thoughts. We are all family here. In fact, Siddharth will go get us both some water. Right, Siddharth?" his mother asked. 

He wanted to protest but knew better than to say anything that might irk his mother. 

"Of course, what would you like?" he asked. 

Chetna looked at him with what could only be described as a triumphant look. The tables had turned. But Siddharth honestly didn't mind it all too much. He was happy to be of service. 

"Thank you aunty but if I make Siddharth do one more task for me my parents will disown me," she said shaking her head. 

"One more task?" his mother asked.

"Long story, Siddharth will be happy to explain," she said and with another nod to his mother she left.

"What was that about? Have you been troubling that young lady?" she asked sharply.