14. Tipsy Truth

The meeting itself was uneventful. Siddharth had reached just in time for it so there had been no conversation before it. 

It was just the four bandmates in the organizer's spacious office now. The stuffy men had left after working out the details and the 'behind the curtain' stuff. They were now excitedly discussing their song setlist and set up. 

"We can leave for the venue right away," Angad said once the conversation lulled. 

"We should do that. Let's get a feel for the place before rehearsal tomorrow," Yug agreed. 

Siddharth had been waiting for this conversation to wrap up so he could make his getaway but now these people wanted to go to the venue too? 

It was a decent-sized auditorium a couple of kilometres from this place and it wouldn't take too long but he was getting antsy. 

"But first," Yug declared and produced a bottle of scotch with a flourish, "Let's celebrate." 

Angad and Shreyas cheered 

Siddharth had almost forgotten this tradition they had started after the Battle of Bands. Concluding meetings with a drink or drinks, multiple. 

"Guys, let's not. I need to get back to my brother's Sangeet sober," Siddharth protested weakly. 

"Shut up and get your drink, Sid," Angad said gleefully.  

Siddharth looked on in dismay as Yug handed everyone a drink. There was no voice of reason here to back him since Meera and Deepani were out shopping and sightseeing in Jaipur. 

"Cheer up, Sid," Shreyas nudged him as he handed him his cup that Siddharth reluctantly took. 

"Okay fine. One drink and then I am leaving. I need to get back to--"

"Chetna!" Yug supplied. 

Siddharth shook his head. This was going to be a long evening. 

***

Siddharth tried not to stumble as he walked into the hotel lobby around 8 in the evening. One drink had turned into 2 and 2 into 4. Before he knew it they were throwing the empty bottle of scotch in the trash and making plans to look for a bar in Jaipur. 

Siddharth had sobered up enough to call himself a cab and ditch his friends before they dragged him along for the ride. He knew he had to make it to the Sangeet before it ended. 

He made his way towards their room and unlocked the door with his keycard. He almost dropped it several times in the process. 

Inside the room, he quickly hopped out of his clothes and changed into the traditional outfit he had laid out earlier. He tried his best to look sober by splashing some water on his face in the sink and combing his hair. He rinsed his mouth with some mouthwash and then grinned stupidly at his reflection. 

"Chetna, I am here to keep my promise," he whispered to himself and walked out of the bathroom and then the room. 

Downstairs, the celebration seemed to be in full swing. 

Like all other occasions, the Haldars had left no stone unturned. The banquet hall was completely decked out in shades of green and yellow. Every corner sparkled and glowed. The guests showed equal enthusiasm in their own outfits by mimicking the gaudy decor. 

Nobody noticed Siddharth at first as he entered the hall. They seemed to be transfixed by something happening up front. Siddharth walked towards the crowd and found a choreographed dance performance in full swing.