10. Streets of Jaipur

"So when you said the best eatery in Jaipur you meant this," Siddharth remarked with an amused air as he took in his surroundings. 

The air was saturated with the smell of delicious Indian snacks being deep-fried in oil as dark as the night sky. The shop itself was tiny and the seating area was a shed right outside it. A constant stream of instructions was being relayed to a couple of tiny helpers by a pot-bellied moustachioed man who sat behind the counter of the shop.

"This is my second favourite spot in this miserable city," she said. 

Chetna had to park quite a ways from the street since it was really narrow. They had walked through the bustling street together and arrived at this cosy shop. 

Chetna walked into the shed and sat down on the narrow bench.

"Come on," she said patting the spot next to hers. 

Siddharth took the spot obediently. 

"Now I know you're not a tea person but you need to try the tea they serve here. I can guarantee you have never tasted anything better," she said animatedly. 

Siddharth wanted to protest but could not bring himself to refuse her when she seemed so excited. He could stand to gulp down a cup of tea if it meant that much to her. 

"Raju," she called out. 

One of the kids ran in her direction. 

"Namastey didi," he grinned.

"Namastey. How are you? How were your exams?" she asked him. 

He answered with equal fervour and familiarity. Siddharth gazed in wonderment at how at home she looked in this place. 

"Two pyaaz kachoris and two teas," she ordered once their conversation wrapped up. 

Raju glanced Siddharth's way and giggled. Chetna looked at him in confusion.

"What happened?" she asked him smiling along. 

"Namastey Jijaji," he said simply and ran off giggling. 

"Raju!" Chetna yelled after him and gave Siddharth an embarrassed glance. 

Siddharth was simply amused at the little interaction and let out a little chuckle. 

"Cute kid," he said. 

Chetna looked at him and nodded fondly. 

"He really is."

Siddharth leaned against the wall and took out his pack of cigarettes and put one between his lips. He offered one to Chetna but she declined. 

"Why not?" he asked. 

Usually, Chetna didn't even wait for his invitation to take one for herself. After her trip to her house, he thought she would want to blow off some steam, quite literally. 

"Uh, because," she said with an expression that indicated the answer was really obvious. 

Siddharth retracted his hand back in a swift motion. 

"Okay..." he said still unsure. 

"Alright, give me one and I'll show you Indian girl magic," she said.

"Indian girl magic?" he asked as he lit his own.

Chetna took the pack from his hand and put one in her mouth to light. 

"Watch," she said and tilted her head in the general direction of the street. She took the lighter from him and lit her cigarette. 

Siddharth looked around and immediately he noticed the heads of the people turning in her direction, their faces twisted in disapproving expressions.