19. Symphony

"So," Chetna began excitedly, "I think I know how I am going to go about the exposé."

They were climbing the stairs that led to the rooftop. The very ones they had climbed down from this morning after their kiss. Siddharth couldn't help but find his thoughts stray to the moment they had shared. 

"The what?" he asked, forcing himself to focus on what Chetna was saying and not stare at her lips like a creep. 

"Bua Ji!" she whispered impatiently, "I am going to expose her in a very dramatic fashion. Ask all of our relatives to convene at her room and then reveal the necklace still hidden under her mattress."

They had now reached the rooftop and Siddharth had lit himself a cigarette. He offered one to Chetna but she shook her head. 

"So, what do you think? Should I do that before the wedding or after?"

Siddharth took a second to exhale a plume of smoke out and lean against the wall.

"Have you considered the cons of this dramatic exposé?"

"What do you mean?" she asked. 

"What if your aunt has changed her hiding place and when it is time for your grand reveal you find nothing?" 

"I don't think she will get too creative with her hiding places. I can just go and take a quick peek before gathering the mob." 

"Okay, but what if you do the whole reveal and she claims that she doesn't know what the necklace is doing under her mattress. She could easily claim that you are framing her and you would have no way of proving that false. The mob would turn on you. They're dangerous that way." 

Chetna seemed stumped at this question. Like she hadn't even considered the very real possibility of that claim. She slumped against the wall next to Siddharth. 

He gave her a sympathetic look and offered her a puff from his own cigarette. She accepted it before handing it back. 

"I feel pathetic right now. I can't figure out this necklace situation, I am cold, I am hungry and I am so sleep deprived that I am almost hallucinating. The wedding hasn't even begun yet. Then there is the reception." she wailed. 

Siddharth smiled at her indulgently. 

"How are you still standing? Don't you feel like a zombie too?" she asked. 

"I am used to it. Coffee doesn't hurt either. You know, I can help with some of those. Others not so much." he offered with a slight smile. 

"Really?" 

Siddharth grabbed her hand and pulled her closer. He turned her around and placed her back against his chest. Chetna was significantly shorter than him so his chin tucked comfortably over her head and he wrapped his arms around her. 

"Now you're warm and if you fall asleep in the middle of a sentence I can catch you before you fall." 

Chetna seemed to be rendered speechless by the sudden contact. She took a few seconds to gather her bearings. Her cheeks felt warm and her body seemed to thrum with this proximity.

"Now I don't have much to offer you in the food department but I do have this," Siddharth went on and pulled out a pack of mint tic-tacs from his pocket and presented her with it. 

She accepted the tic-tacs mutely and popped a couple in her mouth. 

"Better?" he asked. 

"Way better," she said in confirmation. 

Siddharth could hear the smile in her words. 

They stood in that position for some time and shared a cigarette. Again, it surprised them both how natural this felt. Like they were meant to be right here in each other's arms.