22. Union

In the end, he realized he would do it. 

He never really had a choice to begin with. The moment he had seen that wedding invitation card on his coffee table a month ago, the moment he had given in to his mother's unsaid plea, he knew he would be doing things that repulsed him. 

He knew he would have to pretend to be part of the happy Rajput family. 

This was just another layer of that pretence. 

So that is what he kept telling himself when he dressed up and went downstairs to the pre-wedding ceremonies.

When his Tauji gave him a tremulous smile Siddharth did what he knew best. 

He plastered on a fake smile and did what any dutiful brother would. He sat for every Puja, he lit every diya, he followed every instruction relayed his way and he bore it all with unending patience. 

If anyone was surprised by his sudden involvement with Veer's wedding ceremony they didn't mention it. Everyone took it in stride. Veer himself seemed completely at ease around him. 

Siddharth was even there when Veer got dressed in his wedding sherwani and helped him in. He was the one who pinned a brooch on his turban. 

He helped him get on the horse when it was time to get the Baraat started and he stood next to him as they circled around the perimeter to get to the entrance of the hotel where the Haldars stood to welcome them.

He had honestly forgotten about everything else in the chaos of the very lavish wedding festivities. Even those luminous eyes that sought him out as soon as they neared the entrance. 

Chetna waved to him from afar and he barely caught it in his distraction. He managed to smile at her and then turned to Veer to help him get down from the horse. 

The Baraat was welcomed with equal amounts of frill and warmth. Almost like they hadn't seen each other every day for the past week. The women performed the ceremonies and then the bride's sisters and friends demanded money from the groom as custom dictated. 

As they came to an agreement Chetna threw Siddharth a worried glance. She had noticed something was off with his demeanour. She didn't talk to him right there with these many eyes on them but resolved she would seek him out as soon as she could. 

He was perfectly fine when they had last talked in the morning. 

The guests were offered snacks and drinks as they filtered in through the entrance. Chetna hovered around them to make sure everyone was provided for. Then she got a couple of bottles of water and walked over to where Siddharth stood with the others. 

She offered them water and they declined. 

She caught Siddharth's eye and gestured for him to step aside. 

Siddharth obliged and she gave him the bottle of water and asked impatiently,

"Are you okay? Did something happen?" 

Siddharth shook his head. He took in her sight and sighed. The yellow lehenga brought out the best of her complexion, the blouse was tasteful yet exposed just enough of her tanned skin and her dark hair fanned across her back in waves. She smelled vaguely of strawberries.

"You look beautiful," he said without preamble. 

Chetna blushed and looked around to make sure no one had overheard their exchange. 

"Thank you. You don't look too bad yourself."

Chetna smiled at him. In his black ensemble, Siddharth was easily the best looking man here.