37. Finale Part 2

She felt that electric shock run through her body again when her eyes locked with Siddharth's across the lounge. Too many emotions were coursing through her body at the moment.

She had driven dangerously fast after leaving the gates of her house behind. She had quickly looked up the Jaipur to Delhi flight times while driving and found that the next flight to Delhi was not for another hour. She had prayed that she would reach in time. She bounded down the tiled floors of the airports, her shoes squeaking. She had stood impatiently in the security check and then ran again once they were done scanning her.

She had quickly bought herself a ticket for a random flight that she did not even bother glancing at. The Jaipur to Delhi flight was all booked up so she picked the cheapest options since she only needed the ticket to get inside the airport. 

Ideally, yes, she would have booked a ticket on the same flight as Siddharth since that is what lovers do right? Ride off into the sunset. So she would fly to Delhi with him and escape all her problems and choose her happy ending with him.

But that could wait. They could both get a later flight but those were the details that did not matter at the moment. All that mattered now was getting to the airport in time, telling Siddharth how much she loved him, how she had realised that she was making a mistake and that wanted to choose him.

And that moment was seconds away because he had jerked up in his seat after locking eyes and realising that it was, indeed, her.

She was suddenly self-conscious under his stare. She did not look presentable at all. Her dark circles and eye bags were more prominent than ever. She was dressed in her t-shirt and joggers and her hair was probably flying all over the place from the mad dash that she had made through security to get to the lounge. She was also sweaty and panting from the run because this was the first bout of exercise she had gotten in months.

She patted her hair in an attempt to smooth it out and took in big gulps of air as she slowly closed the distance between them. Siddharth made no attempt to do so. Chetna was a little stung when he hadn't even stood up but she knew she deserved way worse from him.

"Siddharth," she breathed when she got close enough to him.

Siddharth just continued staring blankly at her.

"I did it. I listened to you, Yamini Aunty. I think I've finally built up the courage to do it. Make the right decision."

Siddharth seemed puzzled.

"Ma?" he asked.

"Siddharth she came to my room and talked to me. She is such an amazing woman. She told me of her life's story. She told me not to make the same mistakes, and not to bend over backwards to please everybody. She—"

"Ma talked to you?" Siddharth interrupted her.

"Yes, she did," Chetna said, feeling her heart turn ice cold when Siddharth's expression did not change.

Siddharth seemed to process this new bit of information but did not say anything for a few seconds.

"Siddharth," Chetna said again, her voice brimming with hope so much emotion that almost choked.

"Chetna," he replied, listlessly.

Chetna's heart broke at the lack of emotion in his voice.

She kneeled in front of him and clasped his hands with both of hers. She looked at him and tried to convey all she needed to say with her eyes. Siddharth met her eye but then looked away.

"Am I too late?" she asked, trying hard not to dissolve into a sobbing mess.

"Chetna, I don't think there is anything you can say right now that will keep me from boarding that plane."