32. Out and About

The only meal that everyone managed to have together in the chaos of the wedding prep was breakfast and the Haldar household had strict breakfast rules. 

The main one? The men were invited to eat first. 

Siddharth looked around in disbelief. Nobody seemed to have a problem with this arrangement. Even before he had moved out of his father's home, his Taiji had sat next to his Tauji at the dining table and after that, he had every meal with his mother. 

This seemed straight out of some misogynistic daily soap. 

Chetna's mother seemed affronted when he offered to help her. She took it as a personal slight and served Siddharth herself during the whole affair. 

Women perpetuating their own oppression. It would be comical if it wasn't this sad. 

Chetna failed to make an appearance yet again. He figured she was being spared owing to her upcoming nuptials. 

After the brief tension-filled encounter yesterday in the car Chetna had successfully avoided him for the rest of the day. Siddharth had tried his hardest to look for her when he got back to the house but all in vain. 

The size of Haldar Haveli did not work in his favour. Chetna knew every corner of the place while he would get lost finding the kitchen. He knew she was on the premises because under no circumstances would anyone let her out so close to her engagement. 

Once the breakfast was done and the plates were cleared Chetna's mother caught her younger daughter and whispered something frantically in her ear. He noticed her point in the general direction of Chetna's room so he figured the whispered chat was about her. 

Siddharth tried to catch Chaarvi's eye to get an in but she seemed too busy conversing with her mother. Out of sheer frustration, he stepped close to them and asked, 

"Everything okay aunty?" 

"Yes, yes Beta. Everything is all good. How did you like the halwa?" she answered automatically. 

He knew she would not give him an answer so he turned to Chaarvi and asked. 

"Tell me."

Chaarvi immediately spilt. 

"Bhaiya, Di needs to go get her blouse fitted by the tailor, some work from the parlour and also shop. But she is saying she doesn't want to." 

Her mother shook her head muttering something about stubborn girls and responsibilities. 

"Beta get her to go. I have too much stress already. I cannot deal with your ungrateful sister too. I have to get so much work done." 

As she started to walk away Siddharth could have sworn he heard her mutter 

"It's almost like she doesn't even want to get married..."

That last off-hand comment sent a jolt of hope through his body. He turned to Chaarvi and said, 

"Let's get your stubborn sister to the tailor and the parlour."

If Chaarvi was surprised by the sudden interest in Chetna's affairs by her brother-in-law she did not show it. She just nodded and walked straight to her husband and motioned for him to join them. 

That's how the three of them ended up outside Chetna's door with Chaarvi knocking persistently. 

A sleepy Chetna peeped out of her room. Her hair was dishevelled, her eyes half closed and a thin tank top. She still looked every bit as beautiful to Siddharth who tried to drink in her appearance before she inevitably closed the door on them.