8. Confide

"Alright, your turn now," Chetna said settling on the sofa after handing Siddharth his cup of coffee and getting hers. 

Siddharth look at her and raised his eyebrows slightly. 

"To spill," she said a little impatiently. 

"I know, I know. Just kidding around."

Siddharth took a long sip of his coffee and let the rush of caffeine soothe him. 

"My cousin, your brother-in-law that is, had a rager last night and apparently all my relatives think I was part of that. They made a huge mess. Broke some stuff and misbehaved with the staff. Typical." 

"We heard about that," Chetna said sipping on her chai. 

"I am sure you did. Everybody in this damn hotel did. Except for Tauji that is. He is still very much in the dark about what shenanigans his precious son got himself into. Good thing we didn't join them last night." 

"Yeah, we decided to not go because I remember we both agreed that going to the groom's bachelor party wasn't a great idea for the sister-in-law," Chetna said smugly.

Siddharth couldn't help but smile at her tone. 

"Sure, thank you, Chetna. You knew in your infinite wisdom that going to that party was a bad idea."

"You're welcome. And you can defer to my judgment for all future decisions." 

"Yes," he nodded in agreement, "Although it doesn't matter to my relatives. For them, we shall forever be the outcasts and the troublemakers. I won't be surprised if the whole thing is blamed on me. God forbid their precious son ever make a mistake." 

"Why?" Chetna asked simply, noting the sudden change in demeanour. 

"Like I said it is a long story," Siddharth feigned a nonchalant smile. 

"And like I said, I have time."

Siddharth looked at her expectant face and felt his defences slipping away. He didn't think he would ever share this story with a stranger but here he was. 

He thought the week would be bearable with his mother but his mother had all but defected to the other side. 

"You must have heard everyone talk about my father right?" he asked.

"Sure, the person who single handedly built the empire your family runs today?" Chetna said placing her cup aside. 

"Great business acumen, terrible person all round." Siddharth sighed. 

He then related a short account of what his childhood had been like for him. The verbal abuse, the physical abuse, the drinking bouts and the miserable time his mother had had with him. 

"Everyone talks about him like he was some kind of a God," Siddharth chuckled bitterly, "They basically worshipped him. My mother had never been raised to utter a syllable out of line so she took it. Not just from my father but from everyone around him who treated her like a second class citizen for years."

Siddharth drained his own cup of coffee wishing it was something stronger. At least that would help bear this conversation.

"I still remember the day I walked into our house and my uncle told me my father had died. I knew I was supposed to be sad but all I felt was relief. Like this weight had been lifted off my chest. I thought our days under his tyranny were over and we could finally live happily." 

Siddharth stood up and paced over to the window and looked out into the city.

"Then a new torrent of insults and accusations. They all thought my mother was responsible for his death. Don't ask me for a logical explanation because I don't have one. The torture was too much and my mother finally took me and left that house. We haven't looked back since."