Guards and Dogs

It was a week later when Tom held the tournament to be his mate and children's guards. The children were with Draco and Narcissa while Lucius and Bellatrix stayed. A large group of about 50 Death Eaters filled the room with Severus who was the only one in the Inner Circle with the time now that the Light was no longer trusting him.

Hydrus sat on Tom's throne in a beautiful flowing black dress, his mask, and no shoes as per his demand. The vampire refused to argue with his mate and took his spot standing just before the stairs. Lucius and Bellatrix were at the bottom of the stairs leading to the couple. All of the people hoping to become their Lady and future Queen's guards lined up neatly five feet in front of the bottom stair.

Tom looked upon the followers brave enough to believe they had a chance at being his beloved's guard and scoffed. Most he could already see were too weak, others just wanted his approval, some were questionable in their loyalties, and only a handful, including Severus, actually wanted to protect Hydrus.

"You have all gathered here today because you think you could be worthy enough to protect your queen. We'll start by splitting you into groups of ten. Those groups will compete and whoever is left standing will win that round. Once the winner of each group is found the last five will compete with Lucius and Bellatrix and whichever two knock down them and the rest will win. I am looking for two guards but I am willing to leave with one. Bella, Lucius, split them up."

The two did just that as their lord walked back to the black throne and lifted his mate. He sat where he belonged and settled his queen on his lap. The neko curled up on his mate and purred as he lazily looked out on the rest of the throne room. Five groups of ten were split into sections. One group was placed in the middle while a barrier was made between where the fighting would commence and the rest.

Tom pet Hydrus absentmindedly and the Death Eaters couldn't help but think that it made him look terrifying. Once everyone was in place, the Dark Lord spoke. "Begin."

Spells were shot out at an alarming rate with little care about damage or accuracy. Many explosions and spells bounced off the protective walls covering the others. The Death Eaters seemed unconcerned about their friends and coworkers, but Severus, Lucius, Bellatrix, Tom, and Hydrus were surprised and almost disgusted.

They all knew they knew how to fight, but the excitement and desperation of the situation seemed to be muffling their mind. After a few minutes, the noise died down and the smoke began to clear. In the covered area with only a couple of injuries stood a fairly young Death Eater that had clearly only won by luck. Some house elves took the unconscious and/or injured bodies to their private hospital wing as Lucius healed the winner.

"Group two may enter and let us keep the fighting a little more civil this time."

The second group, which held Severus, walked into the area and their designated spots. Once they were ready, Tom let them go. This fight was more controlled, but still chaos. Of course, Severus, being the most experienced, won easily. The next three groups were about the same where the most skilled and experienced ones were able to win.

The last ones in the room were the young, scared-looking man, Severus, an older woman who seemed to only want Tom's attention, a woman in her twenties who seemed off, and a plain man who looked like he really couldn't care. Overall, the Dark Lord only thought Severus was worthy and safe out of the group.

This time the five stood on one side while Bellatrix and Lucius stood on the other. "Remember the last two to defeat Lucius and Bellatrix will be the winners of this competition. Let's wrap this up."

It wasn't long before four of the contestants were knocked down by the two Inner Circle. Severus stood alone against his friends but his eyes were narrowed in concentration. The submissive vampire blocked and dodged spells until he was able to throw a stunner and knocked Lucius down. Bella was forced on the defensive as Severus threw spell after spell until he caught her with a stupify and claimed his prize.

The barriers went down and Tom and Hydrus smiled at the man. "Well done, Severus. You are now Hydra and the baby's protector. I know you won't disappoint."

The submissive part of the vampire burst into happiness at the praise, but he was a little saddened that it couldn't come from his own mate. Shaking his mind of those thoughts he walked up to his Lord and Lady and bowed. "I won't let anyone touch them."

That night, Severus was moved to the room across from theirs and Tom waited as his mate finished settling the children down. The vampire stood so still in the center of the bedroom that it nearly scared the neko. "Tom, are you alright?"

"Yes, my love. I just-I have a surprise for you."

"A surprise? Now, Tom, you'll make me into a spoilt brat with all these gifts. What could you get me that you haven't already?"

"Well, I remember you telling me that, you always wished for a dog when you were younger due to your neighbor's dogs and Fang."

Hydra stopped his actions of grabbing his nightgown and looked at his mate in shock. He remembered that?

"I decided that Severus might want some help, so I got two giant breed dogs that I had trained in protection work for you. Would you like to meet them?"

The neko seemed to be in shock but managed to nod his head. Tom left the room but was quick to reenter with two giant dogs. Hydrus broke from his shock and squealed while running to them. Both rubbed their heads into his tiny hands as he pet them gently.

"The black Giant Snauzcher is named Salazar and the brindle English Mastiff is named Scorpius. I'm sorry you couldn't name them, but I wanted them to be a surprise."

"Oh, I love them, Tom! I love you so much!" Hydrus wrapped himself around his mate and pressed his lips hard against the larger man's. The vampire kissed back, letting go after a few seconds.

"I love you, kitten."