Chapter Five

Alastriona looked up at the friendly Healer with wide eyes, "That was so quick!" She exclaimed, wiggling her feet comfortably. "Thank you."

The Healer laughed, she had a very melodic laugh that brought a smile to Alastriona's face. "You're welcome. Now you will have a small scar," she gestured to the stitches above the girls eyebrow, "but the stitches will disappear as soon as the cut is fully healed. You're officially free to go, Miss Breen." 

Alastriona grinned and jumped out of the cot, she ran to Adelaide's side, "Can I go home now? I want to get there before Uncle Finn sees the Daily Profit." She wanted to be there when Arwen delivered the paper and explain the events of the night to Uncle Finn herself, she didn't want him to have the overdramatised version that the Profit would undoubtedly create.

Adelaide nodded her head once as an answer. Together they walked down the cold halls of St Mungos hospital.

To Alastriona it seemed like a void, taking away family, friends and happiness, drawing the light out of people... she often had nightmares of this place, of being completely alone in the dark with no one to hold and no one to hold her.

She breathed in and out deeply as they finally made it out of the hospital, standing on the deserted street in front of the building. Adelaide placed her hand on the young girls shoulder, Alastriona nodded, she was ready.

They apparated.
They landed outside of Alastriona's home. "Thank you, Adelaide." 

"You're welcome, dear." She glanced at the door, "Good luck. I'll bring Darcy home shortly."

Alastriona nodded and with one last small smile Adelaide Zabini apparated, leaving the little red-head alone on her front porch.

Alastriona grabbed the spare key from under the pot plant beside the front door and quietly eased the door open. 

Finley Breen was sitting on the couch in the living room with his head in his shaking hands. The Daily Prophet on the coffee table next to an untouched cup of tea.

How many times would he be sitting and waiting for news on his girl? How often would he have to worry about her safety? How was he supposed to protect her when he couldn't follow her everywhere she went?

He wanted to give her the freedom and trust that she craved but there was a massive part of him that couldn't bare letting her out of his sight ever again. She's his girl.

The front door snapped shut quietly. Finn's head perked up. She was home.

"My girl, oh my little Alastriona." He cried and ran to her, he pulled her up into a hug, her feet off the ground. One of his hands went to her hair and he cradled her head into his shoulder, tears springing to his eyes.

She whispered, "I'm okay, dad, I'm home."

Any other day he would've corrected her. When she was growing up and began calling him dad, he stopped her every single time, even though the broken look on her face tugged at his heart he couldn't disrespect his brother like that. Over the years she had slipped just a handful of times, like when she'd received her Hogwarts acceptance letter, he corrected her in the most gentle way he could.

But this time, this time he just let it go. Because she was his little girl and he had raised her as his own and he needed this moment just as much as she did.

Darcy arrived home not long after and Finn embraced her tightly and checked over her for any injuries, she was fine but a little grimy

Darcy arrived home not long after and Finn embraced her tightly and checked over her for any injuries, she was fine but a little grimy. Alastriona had some leaves tangled in her curls and her feet were caked with mud and dried blood. They were both ordered to shower, clean up and come back down for an early lunch. 

The girls were in Alastriona's room, chatting with tea and biscuits, sitting on Alastriona's bed across from each other.

Darcy cleared her throat, "Blaise told me you threatened Ron Weasley." 

Alastriona met Darcy's curious gaze, "Yes. He deserved it."

Darcy's smile was turning into a full blown grin, "So you did it to protect Draco?"

"I— yes— no—" Alastriona stuttered out, "He was saying horrible things, assuming that we were all into the pureblood mania and that Draco and Blaise would put on cloaks just like the other Death Eaters." Alastriona breathed out heavily, trying to calm herself down, she could feel her blood boil just from remembering the horrid conversation. "I had to do something, Darcy. I couldn't just let him talk about our friends that way."

Darcy nodded along, "I completely understand, I would've done the same thing." She paused and was clearly trying to hold back a smile, "Blaise said you swore." Alastriona's cheeks heated up, "You did!" Darcy gasped playfully, "I've never heard you swear before!" 

Alastriona put her cup down on her bedside table, smiling bashfully at Darcy, "I was so worked up! If Theo had been there I'm certain he would've attacked Weasley then and there."

Darcy laughed, "Now that is something I'd actually be happy to watch. He's so funny when he's all worked up!"

They both stilled as they heard a faint 'whoosh' come from downstairs, the tell-tale sound of someone arriving by the floo network, they hadn't been expecting anyone.

"Alastriona, Darcy!" Finn called out to them, "You've got a visitor!"

Darcy shrugged at Alastriona's confused look but they both walked down to the living room, "Blaise, what're you doing here?" Alastriona asked, a smile on her face, maybe he was coming to invite them over for a scrap game of quidditch!

Her smile faded quickly. Blaise looked distraught. He was breathing heavily and there was a shakiness to hands that was beyond unusual for him. 

"Blaise?" Alastriona called nervously to him, she approached him cautiously and looked up at him as she grabbed one of his hands, "Are you okay?"

"It— she— Theo—" He was trying to steady his breath. "Theo's mum is dead."