Chapter Nine

Alastriona hummed to herself, swinging her and Draco's intwined hands back and forth as they trekked down to Care of Magical Creatures.

Darcy, Theo, Blaise and Tracey were well ahead of them and Darcy glanced back and rolled her eyes. "You're going to be late!" She called back to the couple.

Alastriona stumbled a little when she tried to speed up but Draco steadied her.
He grinned devilishly, "Race you!"

He took off and Alastriona squealed in laughter and took off after him.
"Cheat!" She shouted after him.
Alastriona pumped her arms harder and had nearly caught Draco! She skidded to a halt and crashed into his back when he stopped with the rest of the class.
"Your back squashed my nose." She complained nasally and from behind her she heard Theo snickering under his breath.

Professor Umbridge stood next to Professor Grubbly-Plank with a clipboard, waiting to assess the class. Professor Umbridge started by asking questions about Hagrid before allowing her to start the lesson.

Alastriona watched Blaise interact flawlessly with the bow truckle before him.

"Now, I hear there have been injuries in this class?" Professor Umbridge's question caused everyone to listen in.

Draco's cheeks flushed red, he said nothing.

"That was Draco, Professor Umbridge, he was maimed by a hippogriff." Pansy's shrill voice called out.

Draco glared at her, "Stay out of this, Parkinson!" He snarled at her.

"A hippogriff?" Professor Umbridge repeated.

"It only attacked because he was too stupid to listen to what Hagrid told him to do." Harry jumped in. 

Alastriona grimaced when Draco scowled at him. "He isn't wrong." Alastriona said lightly. Darcy and Theo stifled their laughter.

Professor Umbridge gave Harry yet another detention before leaving the class.

Alastriona reached up and smoothed away the frown lines on Draco's face. "You'll get wrinkles, Draco."

He chuckled, grabbed her hand and placed a soft kiss on her open palm, he wrapped his arm around her tucking her into him. "Not if I've got you around, love."
From the corner of his eye he could feel Potter, Granger and Weasley staring at him but he ignored them, focusing only on Alastriona and the faint smell of maple syrup lingering around her.
"Did you spill maple syrup this morning?"

Alastriona scoffed. "I swear they're changing the size of the jug daily! Spilt it all over my robes, I changed though," she peered up at him with wide eyes, "does it really smell that obvious?"

Draco just smiled at her, content. 

Alastriona scratched at the skin of her thumb, her other hand was twirling her quill around and around, accidentally making small splatters of ink on the empty sheet of parchment in front of her

The library was nearly empty, it was a surprisingly bright day outside and most of the Hogwarts students were making the most of it. Alastriona was trying to think of what to write to Uncle Finn and her grandparents and coming up with nothing.