Chapter Thirteen

Alastriona sighed once more. Wiggling her toes under the six blankets put over her when she was first taken to the Hospital Wing.

"Another sigh of out you, missy, and I'll make you take your potion early." Madam Pomfrey threatened.

"Sorry, Madam Pomfrey, I'm just bored... and I'm a Prefect, this is slightly embarrassing." She said, making her wand shoot out small sparks into the air, just in front of her face.

Madam Pomfrey hummed. "Yes, well, you should've thought of that before you went skipping down icy stairs. Why don't you do some of the homework Darcy brought in for you?"

"I've finished it. And I didn't realise they were that icy, it's not like I did this on purpose, you know." She grumbled and drew her legs into her chest.
The doors to the hospital wing opened and Alastriona's heart beat wildly when Draco hesitantly stepped inside, he looked around the room and stopped only when his eyes settled on her.

"Finally!" Madam Pomfrey said, exasperated. "Someone to keep her company." She mumbled before leaving the room to her private office.

Draco walked closer, eyeing the door Madam Pomfrey just slammed shut. "Doesn't she love you?" He asked, standing by the cot, hands shoved into his pockets.

Alastriona cleared her throat. "Apparently I've become annoying." She said lightly.

"How many times have you tried to sneak out?" Draco asked, pulling up a chair to sit by her.

Alastriona pretended to think about it. "Only six."

Draco smiled. He'd missed her. She'd been avoiding him, saying that they both needed time to cool down. He missed the way she'd straighten her tie when she was nervous, the way she always smelt like maple syrup, the way each morning without failure she managed to spill at least one cup of tea, if not her own then someone else's.

"I came to see you yesterday but you were asleep." He stayed looking down at his hands.

"Why'd you want to see me?"

He glanced up at her and gave her an incredulous look, like he couldn't believe she'd just asked that. "Because I love you and you fell down a flight of stairs and landed in a patch of snow and no one found you for hours. I had to see if you were all right." He sighed and ran a hand over his tired face. "You were right, about everything. And I'm sorry, I never should've yelled at you like that and I'm sorry, I'm not sorry for what we yelled about because I'm glad we did but I'm sorry, you don't deserve to be shouted at by anyone, let alone me."

He waited impatiently for her to say something. He wanted permission to hold her hand, he wanted to see the kindness return in her eyes, he wanted to feel her hair on his face when she tucked her head under his chin while they snuggled close by the fire in the library.
But he had no idea what she was feeling right now and he hated the distance between them and he hated that he hadn't run after her when she left him in the change rooms.

"I love you." She replied. She leaned over her bed and kissed his cheek and grabbed his hand, holding it tightly with both of hers, absentmindedly playing with his fingers. "I forgive you and... I'm sorry for yelling back. I don't want us to yell at each other like that again."

He kissed her forehead, his lips pulled into a smile against her skin. "I promise, love."

"