Chasing Shadows

RIMURU'S POV:

I deactivated my mimicry wings and landed near the Fatui Hideout. I looked around and it seems like I was the first one to arrive in Windwail Highland

I stared at the hideout and activated my Universal Sense

I sense 3 Electro Slimes, 3 Electro Cicin, 3 Fatui guards, 1 Wooden Shield Mitachurl, 3 Pyro Slimes, and a Fatui Pyro Agent. 

Oh and I can see the boring Cicin Mage! She's still alive! Good for her!

It's a shame that she'll die today.

I deactivated my Universal Sense after sensing a certain group finally catching up to me. 

I chuckled and turned around to see Aether and the others. I can see they are exhausted, especially flying faster just to catch up to me. "You guys are finally here." 

"You... *pant*... how could you... *pant*..." I watch in amusement as Paimon greedily inhaled the air. "HOW COULD YOU JUST LEAVE US!?" Paimon shouted-whispered to me. 

I ignored her and looked at Diluc & Aether. "There's currently 15 enemies inside. The Fatui Cicin Mage that 'stole' the Holy Lyre is also there." 

[ ... ] Why does it feel like Raphael-san is disappointed in me? 

Diluc nodded, thinking about what I said. "Hmm... that's good for us. How did you know?" He asked, narrowing his eyes. 

Geez, this guy has some serious trust issues. 

"That's for me to know." I said with a smile on my face. I don't like sharing secrets with people I barely knew. 

We stared at each other (A/N: NOW KISS!!) before Diluc sighed. "Forget it. I don't like having to pry." Yeah right. "Traveler, here. Take this." He said, giving Aether a disguised before handing the same thing to me. "You too." 

"No need. I have my own." I declined, summoning my mask. 

"What is it?" Paimon asked. 

"A disguise, to protect your identity. Put it on before you run into the Fatui. Unfortunately, they are still one of Mondstadt's allies. At least that's the façade we're maintaining." I can tell how much he hated it. "Our actions are going to get them stirred up. Better to not implicate yourself on a personal level." Diluc explained. 

I nodded in understanding. 

We entered the domain. I deactivated the flamethrowers by using Icicle Lance.

These flamethrowers are not bad, but it wouldn't be good enough as a trap or security for the city. I thought with Raphael-san and Veldora agreeing with me. 

Brother, you got nothing to worry about! The Black Numbers and the 12 Patrons are there to defend the Jura Tempest. Veldora assured me. 

[ Besides, you already changed the rules about humans. ] Raphael said, reassuring my anxiety. Their right, Diablo and the others are there. I changed the rules 'no attack humans' to 'attack humans only if they strike first or pose a threat to everyone'. 

I won't make the same mistake. Just like that time those foolish humans dared to kill- deep breaths Rimuru. Deep breaths. 

We easily defeated the Electro Slimes and now we are walking towards the scared Fatui Guard, who was putting his hands up in defense. He's probably scared of the slimes. 

Should I turn into a slime and scare him? That's a good idea but sadly now is not the right time. 

What a shame.