Chapter 5: The Waiting Room

(Y/N)'s POV
As we arrived at the gates of Heart's Empire's castle, a guard blocked our way in. "State your name and business" the guard said coldly.

"My name is (Y/N) (L/N) and im here for the shoemaking contest" i said as he nodded while ticking my name.
"What about you?" The guard asled Wei Xiang.

"Oh, right. My name is Wei Xiang and I'm here for the shoemaking contest as well" he said.

"Alright, follow this guard to the gathering hall and sit down on the seat provided. The judging begans in an hour" he said, with a monotone voice.

Another guard appeared out of nowhere and said "follow me, please". Then, he walked through the gates.

Me and Wei Xiang looked at each other before following the guard. As we walked through the castle hallways, Wei Xiang suddenly grabbed my hand.

"What are you doing?" I asked. "Just so you're safe" he said. "Alright...my protective hero.." I said with a smirk, but my intention to tease him failed as he said "I like that nickname, tomato-chan" he smirked back.

"Dont call me that!" I said and pouted. "Please be quiet" the guard warned us. I quickly shut my mouth in fear of what might happen if I don't.

We reached a room that was filled with at least 30 people. Wei Xiang and I sat down on empty seats. I looked around the room.

There were a lot of people fancy clothes but there are also some wearing poor clothes.

A guy with blue hair sat next to me and smiled. "Hi! My name is Arnaldo! What's yours?" He asked as he extended a hand.

"Oh! I'm (Y/N)! Nice to meet you!" I said and shook his hand. I heard a growl coming from Wei Xiang, but I shrugged it off, thinking I heard wrongly.

Wei Xiang held my tightly as if he was jealous. "So, Arnaldo! Why did you join the shoemaking comtest?" I asked.

"Well, my parents actually made me join...I didnt even want to...they made me join because of my talent in shoemaking but I dont like it all..." He said and looked down.

"Oh...I'm so sorry..." I said. "Its alright..I just hope I don't win...the last time I cobbled a show, something disastrous happened...I do hope you win though, you seem like a nice person" he said with a cheerful smile.

"Aww..thank you so much..Arnaldo" I said. "Hehe! Youre welcome! By the way, are you from Tail?" He asked. I looked at him in surprise for a moment before nodding.

"What about you? Are you from Claw?" I asked. "Ding! Ding! Ding! You're correct!" He said in a cheerful tone.

Suddenly, Wei Xiang pulled me closely to him before I could say anything to Arnaldo. I looked at Wei Xiang and he looked kinda annoyed.

"Um...im so sorry...I didnt mean to make your boyfriend mad...I'll leave you be" Arnaldo quickly scurried away to another seat.

"Wei Xiang! You scared that poor boy away!" I looked at him angrily. "Tch! He deserved it..." Wei Xiang said and held me even tightly.

A few more people came into the room and filled the empty seats. "Wei Xiang...were you jealous?" I asked.

"So what if I was?" He asked back. "Hmph!" I looked away childishly.
Suddenly, a guy with brown hair entered the room.

He was wearing a white silk dress shirt with black pants. He had piercings blue eyes which were as cold as ice.

"Greetings. As you all know, the best known shoemakers will be judging the shoes all of you made in a short time. There will be 5 finalists. If your name qualifies into the list, please line up next to the guard on the right side of the room. If there are no further questions, my assistant will be collecting the shoes. Please place them nicely on the table there, and if you can, Include the shoeboxes as well. " he said and pointed to an empty white table.

I took out my shoebox and walked to the table and placed it on the table. Wei Xiang placed a golden pleated shoebox next to mine.

I leant into his ears and whispered "I thought you were poor". "I am. The gold's fake" he whispered back.

After all the contestants placed their shoes on their table, the guy with brown hair spoke again.

"It'll take at least two hours to judge the shoes. It is unfortunate but the shoes that are not worth looking at will be thrown away. While you're waiting, please follow us to the ballroom. His majesty held a feast for you peasants while you are waiting for the judging to be completed" he spoke and turned his heel to the door.

We all lined up and began following him while guards were following us. 'I wonder what food they'll be...' I thought as my stomach growled a little.

(Don't forget to vote too, please!)