Chapter 23

Thank you @jazzyandred so much for making this cover! I really appreciate it.

Chapter 23

A continuous knock at the door had me slamming my cherry lipstick on my dresser and bursting out of my room. I jogged through the hallway, catching a glimpse of Matt's room but I didn't see him inside.

Maybe he's in the shower, I thought to myself as I continued down the stairs. Strolling past the kitchen, I headed towards the front door. Once I was situated in front of it, I opened it and smiled once I saw my mother's friend, Christie, with Jamie planted in her arms.

Christie smiled at me and I shot her an enthusiastic smile as well.

Christie has been friends with my mom since the accident with my dad. She was my dad best family friend. I admired her golden locks, sky blue eyes and impeccable fashion sense.

"So lovely to see you, Jessica. You look amazing." She complemented.

I grinned so wide that I could momentarily hear my cheeks yelping out in agony. "Thank you," I told her. "You look pretty amazing yourself."

Jamie began stretching her little chubby arms out to me. Christie acknowledged her actions. "I guess that's a sign saying i should give you to her and for me to hit the road."

I laughed at her words while grasping Jamie in my hands. She burped many incomprehensible sounds while letting her small fingers have a festival in my hair. I thanked Christie once I got her baby bag. But before Christie turned to leave, I stopped her.

"Wait, before you go, where's my mom?" I asked her.

She stuck her fingers in her front pocket while staring down at her feet. "Well, you see, last time she called she sounded defeated and tired. I'm not sure if it's her mother, but knowing your grandmother as well as I do, it really wouldn't be a surprise if she was the cause of Elizabeth's unhappiness." She sighed to herself. "She told me to tell you to get Jamie and yourself dressed and that she will text you the address to the restaurant. You should call her to make sure she's alright, okay?"

I nodded my head, "Okay." I confirmed. She smiled once more to Jamie and I and began heading off. I watched her leave and then shut the door.

I looked down at Jamie and she looked up at me. We both smiled at each other. I reached out and pinched her nose. "Alright, little cutie, let's get you cleaned up and ready to go meet grandma."

*****

I parked the car in a fancy restaurant parking lot. When my mom had sent me the address of the place we'd be having dinner tonight, I was so shocked. My mother was a nurse, yes, but with her being a single parent and taking care of Jamie and trying to save up for college for me, I was sure she couldn't have been paying for our dinner.

On the other hand, My grandmother was more financially stable than we were. She had free money that she could just throw in the air. That was one of the main reasons why she was rude and most people didn't like her. She believed that since she had money, she could say or do whatever she pleased.