Prologue

|Prologue|

Words couldn't describe how happy I was that summer was here. It was like a breath of fresh air. No school, no homework, no afterschool activities. It was the best.

And to top it all off, my mom was picking up our new house guest. I felt so happy. Finally I could have a kid that's my age. Of course, I could play with my little sister but having her chew on my fingers until they were numb wasn't really my ideal time of having fun.

I continued to dust off the counter with one head phone in my ear and the other one hanging loose just so I could hear if Jamie cried from upstairs. My mother put her to bed at about noon and every so-often I went up there to check up on here.

"I won't...let you...close enough to hurt me no." I sung the lyrics to Adele Turning Tables and finished cleaning the counter tops.

Once I was completely complete with that task, I took out the broom and begun to sweep every inch of our living room.

Mom told me that I had to clean so our guest could be welcomed into a warm, clean environment.

Huh, he's been in jail for two years, I don't think he even remembers what the word clean means.

I giggled to myself slightly.

Most people would be annoyed to have some delinquent in their home invading their space but I guess I am different. I was really fascinated when my mother told me about him moving in. I wrote down so many questions that I wanted to ask him.

They say that time behind bars change you so I hope he changed for the better.

I continued to sweep the floors of my living while listening to Adele's voice play.

Next time I'll be braver

I'll be my own savior

When the thunder calls for me

Next time I'll be braver

I'll be my own savior

Standing on my own---

Ding! Dong!

The sound of the doorbell made me pause my music and set the broom aside.

I guess that is my mom. She probably left her house keys here. I pulled the head phones out of my ear then the realization that my mom was here slapped me in the face.

Yes! Our guest is here. I can't wait to meet him.

I quickly scattered to answer the door. Unlike most times, I would look through the peep hole just to make sure that it wasn't killers or cops, but this time I just flung the door open.

My mom stood with a huge grin on her face, greeting me. Aside from her was...I guess our house guest. He looked a total mess. His hair looked like a bird's nest; clearly they don't give you combs in jail. Aside from that, he had a cut on his bottom lip and his left eyebrow had a bandage on it. His clothes were dirty, also. Not mud-street dirty, just dusty dirty. He stood with his shoulders slumped, almost as if he would fall any minute now.

My mother smiled brightly between the kid and I.

"Well, Jess, this is Matt, our new house guest." She then turned to the guy, who slightly turned and looked up at me. "Matt, this is my daughter, Jessica."

I smiled sweetly at him even thought he was glaring at me. "Hi, nice to meet you." I stuck out my hand so he could shake it.

But instead of being the respectful dude that he should've been, he turned to my mom and asked the most disgusting question I've ever heard a human say, "Is there a bush around here that I could use to piss on?"

The smile that was once placed on my face had fell in disgust.

Remember Jess, he just came out of jail. What they do in there is probably worse than what he just said. Remember, be nice, be yourself and be friendly.