Chapter 29

Hey yall. back with another chapter. next one will be the last. journeys almost ending. btw I hope people don't think I'm a ranting b&*^% for the last venting session. you guys are like my friends and I just felt comfortable venting to you all. ily all so much words can't even explain .

Chapter 29

I fist my fingers through my hair as thoughts ran rambunctiously through my mind. I was upset, clearly but I didn't know what to do really. It was around midnight and we had just left the scene. I had decided on leaving with Vanessa, just to clear my head because I know that tomorrow would be a busy day for me. So many things were still floating on the "i don't know" plate.

My mother was another story. She was so harsh, and yes, I was rude by leaving her side by I couldn't stand and hear her speak complete ignorance about Matt like she did. I couldn't find it within to just hold my tongue back so I just simply walked away.

"Text me once you get in okay? He could have had some people sneak in your house. We don't want to take any chances." Vanessa said mockingly, trying to lighten the situation.

And I'm glad that she did so because it actually made me smile. "Yeah, but I don't even want to go inside knowing she'll be inside."

"Look," Vanessa turned herself a bit and seized my attention. "what your mom said back there was pretty foul but I don't think she would just say something like that about Matt randomly. There's always two sides to every story, you know?"

She did kind of have a point. So i nodded my head and reach out to hug her. "I guess you're right and thank you so much for everything tonight."

"No problem," She smiles and then attempts to push me out the vehicle. "Now go make up with your mom!"

I giggle off as I hop out her car and wave goodbye as she pulled out the parking lot. I squeeze my fist a little, tightening it into a ball shape. I didn't want my mother to be upset with me, I just wanted her to see the other side of Matt. His vulnerable side and how he has had a rough past and shouldn't be judged based off his past life.

I take slow steady steps to my front door. And I can't seem to steady my hands as I dig in my back pocket and fish for my key. Once I find it, with grandma like speed, I unlock the door and step inside to a semi dark house.

The only light that I could see was coming from the kitchen. And I could smell something sweet filling the air. It smelled similar to my father's famous caramel brownies. His was the best I've tasted and the smell just lured me into the kitchen. My mom stood, hunched over the counter, flicking her wrist around as she stirred the brownie mix that was in a large blue bowl.

From me walking in, her head rose and she gave me a gentle smile.

I gave her a smile back and stared around at all the items she had thrown around the counter. Cracked eggs were lying around while the sweetened milk rest calmly with the lid a bit ajar.

I release a tight breath that is basically clogging my throat and step up to my mom and slide into one of the island stools. "So, what's the occasion?" I rarely seen my mother baked these brownies unless she was hurt, felt guilty or was angry.

She stops what she is doing and stares up at me, with a worried look on her face. "I just wanted to clear my mind and talk."

"To me? Or...?" I asked, not knowing if she wanted to talk by herself or to me.

She nodded her head. "Yes, to you, honey." She assured me. "First, I want to just apologize for the way I have been talking about Matt. It's just...." She shakes her head a bit and reaches out and grabs a napkin to clean her hands off. "When I saw those drugs in his room, I just thought about the past. As you know, his mother and I were close friends, remember?"