Chapter XXVI

The Official Ring

The scene outside the window was changing but the thought that was struck in the mind was not budging at all. Even though the outer luscious green scenery was vibrant and positive but still the gloomy thoughts kept making their way to the surface. The towering trees looking blur but the memory was crystal clear. Prachi tried her best to move her mind to something else. Something stupid. But no. The memories of the late morning came back barging to her mind.

Though dozing off just about a couple of hours prior, Prachi woke up abruptly. Checking the clock, it was a good time after four. She got up groaning at yet another pounding headache because of yet another crying session. Looking to her side she smiled feebly at her sister who was sleeping by her side, a tissue still in her hand, that she had been using to wipe away her tears.

She had just brought the water bottle to her lips when she heard a soft thud. Soft and nearby. She heard the same soft thud again, but this time it was much clear. She got up, gingerly moving her feet that had turned numb, and moved to the door, opening it and looking outside. She saw Ranbir, totally wasted, swaying on his feet as he moved towards his room, or rather being carried by Aryan.

It took all she had to not follow them, but still, she rushed to the balcony to at least hear anything that might assure her that he was okay. As much as he can be after she went ahead and ripped his heart to shreds.

After standing quietly in the chilly air, she saw the light of the adjacent room turn on. She held onto her breath, in fear that she might miss any noise. Jumping in surprise when the door of the balcony opened and Aryan came out. Thanks to the dark, he didn't notice her and returned after picking up something from the iron chair.

"Prachi..... Prachi?" She jolted awake, coming face to face with Shahana, who was bent forward in front of her from the car door.

Hasn't she been on her right?

Prachi looked around, taking in her new surroundings. The blurry surroundings had come to a standstill and she identified the building in front of her as the Mehra mansion. She blinked, and then blinked again, realizing that the extreme mental and emotional exhaust had made her fall asleep somewhere in the way. She got down from the car and rubbed her eyes, trying to pry the sleep away. The mansion was the same in the structure, but the paint had been changed from the previous to the pearl white shade. She was just admiring the place that she had come to several times, that had later turned out to be her own house and now she will be leaving it soon.

Ranbir got down from the car that he had shared, forcefully, with Abhi, Pragya, and *disgusted noises* Rhea.

He groaned as his head pounded, hangover and sleep deprivation being the equal reasons. The small nap he had slipped into during the ride was woefully disturbed by the creepy fiance of his who, instead of traveling in one of the most luxurious cars, kept on clinging to him.

Groaning lightly again, he moved forward, eyes squeezed shut while he rubbed his temples with his fingertips, gasping as he bumped into something soft and he felt that thing falling forward. His hands worked on their own accord and reached out to wrap around the thing to keep it from falling. He opens his eyes just in time to come face to face to black silken threads, the oh-so-familiar scent filling his nostrils immediately. He could feel her hands gripping his arms tightly that were wrapped around her waist, and her breathing heavy due to shock. His breaths automatically synchronized with her's as her back heaved against his chest, and his eyes closed on their own accord.

He was about to lean in to have some of that familiar calmness some more but, fortunately, or unfortunately, everyone rushed to them.

"Prachi are you okay?"