Chapter 16: Jealousy

The next morning the four friends packed and returned their keys ready to hit the road. Stefan was driving while Tori sat next to him as Brinley sat in the back together. 

"You seemed comfortable last night." Selena mumbled sarcastically so that Stefan wouldn't hear.

"I don't know what you're talking about." Brinley whispered.

"Sure." Selena whispered back and snorted as she rolled her eyes. She had a bad feeling about Brinley and Stefan since the night before. Selena thought Brinley was stunning despite her lone attitude. Brinley could have any guy she wanted. Selena was confused why she might have wanted Stefan. 

"Are you talking about boys?" Tori teased letting out a soft giggle.

"Yes we are." Selena answered as she glared at Brinley. 

"How about that Nick Lachey, huh?" Brinley joked laughing uncomfortably. 

"I don't know who he is." Stefan chuckled.

"Uncultured swine." Selena teased him giggling. 

They stopped for gas and Brinley waited for Tori and Stefan to be out of earshot when she wanted to confront Selena. 

"What is your deal?" Brinley asked.

"You like Stefan, that's what." Selena snapped at her.

"So?"

"So what? You set us up together, remember? Now you're into him?" Selena asked getting more annoyed.

"Selena, I did not plan it. My feelings are real and natural." Brinley responded and rolled her eyes.

"That is a lame excuse. You are supposed to be my friend. Girls don't go after each other's guys." 

"You two aren't official, right?" 

"No... he isn't. " Selena sighed. "That is not the point though. We have already gone on a date and kissed twice, he likes me and I like him. If you were my friend you would back off." 

"But this is the first time I have ever shown any interest in a guy before." Brinley replied.

"Well this is the first time a guy has ever really shown any interest in me, Brin. You are super pretty. You got sass and you are always in control. Boys don't like me. I am the one armed freak, remember?" Selena argued.

"You can't always use that. It will get so worn out-- it actually already has been worn out if I am being completely honest." Brinley shot at her.

"You're right," Selena sighed in defeat. "I am making excuses."

"Maybe I am a bad friend." Brinley mumbled and looked down.

"Hey," Selena replied and hugged her. "you're not a bad friend."

"I just feel bad because I like someone you like." Brinley responded and let her go after a few seconds. 

"We have to respect his choice."