Part 8: A Dogfight

Xxx

A week later, Ryuga sat in the carriage with Alice and Arthur. Arthur looked at his friend, "So, how do you find school?"

The hero shrugged, "It's been fine, I guess..."

Alice leaned into her seat, "That's putting it lightly, Ryuga's been doing very well in class."

She pouted, "How do you even remember those things?"

Ryuga just chuckled, "I told you before, I know them already. I finished highschool back home, after all. Most of the stuff you learn here are similar, with just a bit variations."

At least, that was when it came to language, maths and scientific subjects. History and literature was very different from what he'd learned and what little he remembered, but thanks to Alice's crash course, he managed to catch up easily.

Needless to say, combat class and magic class was simple for him too. Thanks to the skills he copied from Megumi, he easily dominated the session, with a few occasional losses against Megumi and Alice.

Rufus, too, stood at the top when it came to swordsplay, but the young man from Eisen had not so much spoken a word to him, except for the insults or backhanded compliments. In that sense, the blonde man had always chosen someone else to partner up with.

To Ryuga's not-so-surprise, various students wanted to pair up with Alice, Megumi and Koyomi, but they always paired up with him or each other.

Back to the present, Arthur smiled, "Well, I have heard a few things here and there. Ignoring the jealousy, I'd say what I've heard has been pretty good on you."

Ryuga smiled, "Ah... Well... Let's just leave it at that, yeah?"

Alice pouted, "Lucky..."

Arthur chuckled, "Speaking of which, I believe we'll be having a field trip tomorrow."

The blonde princess grumbled, "Don't remind me... I hate those."

Ryuga blinked, "Field trips?"

Arthur nodded, "Yep, the school board organises random trips to various sites to help us gain experience. As nobles, we're expected to be able to fight to some extent, and experience is nothing if not a great teacher."

Alice grumbled, "And they managed to make it boring."

Ryuga blinked, "What do you actually do in these trips?"

Arthur chuckled at his sister's lack of enthusiasm, "We emulate a mission from the guilds, so the school board gathers requests from various places and have us complete them."

The blonde princess grumbled, "Last year we went to gather herbs and supplies."

The blonde prince nodded, "This year should involve more hands on stuff. So I expect escort missions or something along those lines."

Ryuga nodded, "I see..."

Arthur chuckled, "Well, I doubt there'll be any issues. You'll be fine."

Alice grumbled, "It'll be boooooriiiing..."

The hero just chuckled as they continued their journey to the school.

...

Later that day, Alex Spacer stood in front of the class, "Alright! I have some good news and some bad news! Which one do you all want to hear first?"

A random student spoke up, "Uhmm, the good news?"

Alex grinned, "The good news, is that you're all going on a field trip tomorrow! It'll be something similar to last year, but we'll be going somewhere more... Exciting, for the lack of a better word."