Part 14: Prelude To A New Country

Xxx

In Merlin's study, the wizard hummed after hearing Ryuga's words, "I see..."

After dropping Danny and his team off at the gates, the armor hero had headed straight for the castle and told Merlin what had transpired.

The hero looked at the wizard, "Any idea what happened there?"

Merlin closed his eyes, before he turned and reached for a book, "Apoptosis, that's a name I haven't heard of since I was a child."

Ryuga blinked, "Wait what?"

The wizard nodded, "It's from the legends of one of the first few heroes. In fact, it's one of the legends where the world almost ended."

Ryuga smiled dryly, "That doesn't inspire confidence."

Merlin chuckled, "No, it certainly doesn't."

The wizard flipped through the pages, until they saw a hand drawn picture of a figure very similar to the one Ryuga had fought.

The only difference was that this one was bulkier, held a shield and a sword.

The armor hero nodded, "That's definitely the same thing, or at least, the same species."

Merlin nodded, "I see, if that's the case, then we have trouble, far earlier than I'd expected."

Ryuga glanced at the wizard, "Is it related to the calamity you mentioned?"

The wizard shook his head, "No, that's a separate matter, in fact it has absolutely nothing to do with the Apoptosis."

He closed the book, "I'll have to look more into the archives to figure out what's happening. You mentioned there was an error in the... display, as you put it, is that right?"

Ryuga nodded, "It was like the Apoptosis wasn't supposed to be there, and I temporarily gained access to two of the stronger units I can unlock in the future."

Merlin closed his eyes, "I see..."

He turned and replaced the book onto the shelf, "At any rate, we'll have to talk about this at a later date. For now, keep this a secret."

The hero nodded, "Even from Alice and Arthur?"

Merlin's face grew serious, "Especially from them."

The hero blinked, "Why though?"

The wizard let out a breath, "As capable as they are, they are young, and they will tend to act rashly."

Merlin stared at Ryuga, "And as proud as I am to say, they have come to view you as a friend, a real friend. Do you remember when you first decided not to gather a party?"

The hero nodded, "To avoid harming them when I used my armors."

The wizard nodded, "Exactly, and whilst I have no doubts they can protect themselves, the Apoptosis... Its not something normal."

Ryuga nodded, "I understand."

The wizard walked to his desk, "I'll tell the king about this later, he'll decide if his children need to hear it. I'll also make sure the spear and sword heroes and their teams are aware of the circumstances."

The armor hero nodded, before he asked, "So what do we do now?"

Merlin chuckled, "Now? You head back to school."

Ryuga sighed, "I was afraid you'd say that."

The wizard laughed and patted him on the back, "I have to say, I'm impressed though. You managed to deal with the burden of Yogoe, and preceding that, you fought and killed a Category Queen Behemoth!"