Chapter eleven: Lincoln

"Do you even know where you're going?" Skye asked as we walked along the street.

"Of course." I replied, rolling my eyes. "First we will need to find a hotel and change out of these clothes. When we don't return, the first thing they will do is call the police and describe the clothes we were wearing."

"Oh yeah? And how do we disguise ourselves? We're not exactly inconspicuous. They take pictures at the home, they know who we are."

"That's why we're going to have a haircut." I explained. "I've thought this through."

"You make it sound like we're running away for good." She said, sounding worried for the first time since I met her.

I shrugged. "We're not going to run away for good. We're going to see my sisters and I am going to remind them that everything is going to be fine."

"But by running away they'll put you on a risk assessment list. What's wrong with being patient?"

I glared at her, annoyed that she was pointing out all the flaws to my poorly-thought-out plan.

"I've been patient for two years." I said. "I can't wait any longer."

She gave me a look that read "you are insane" but didn't say it out loud. Maybe I was. But keeping sane wasn't getting the results I wanted.

We walked along in silence and I started to question myself. Was this really a good plan? Was I really going to waltz back into my sisters' lives and act like the last three years had never happened? Could I even do that?

For the first time, I wondered if it was better to let sleeping dogs lie. Digging up old wounds and memories were the last thing any of us needed.

But maybe we needed these memories to remind us who we were.

~*~

I walked into the hairdresser's as if I owned it and Skye followed, looking around at all the people and stiffening. I added doesn't like crowds to my pitifully small list of things I knew about her.

"You alright?" I asked, brushing a hand over hers to remind her she wasn't alone.

"I'm fine." She lied, even as she inched closer to me for protection.

I wrapped my hand around hers, and squeezed reassuringly. The way I used to with my sisters whenever they were scared about something.

"I've got you." I whispered in her ear. "You're going to be alright."

She slowly relaxed against me and looked up at me. I found myself caught in her golden-brown gaze.

"Why did you want to get out?" I asked, softly.

She didn't reply for a while and I thought she was avoiding the question until she said

"Because the last one hated me."

I waited in case she elaborated but when she didn't, I simply squeezed her hand as we sat down to wait to be called.

She smiled, pretending there weren't tears in her eyes and I wondered what was behind that smile. What demons was she hiding beneath the confident surface?

"How may I help you?" A cheerful voice asked.

"We would like two dramatic haircuts please." I said.

The hairdresser raised an eyebrow and looked at Skye.

"Would you like to go first?" She asked.

~*~

"Blonde suits you." Skye said as we left the building.

"Really? I feel like a total idiot." I said, running a hand through my blonde hair. Where dark brown curls used to tumble around my face and annoy me, now there was a floppy mop of dirty blonde hair with bangs that the hairdresser had recommended.

"No, it really does." She smiled.

"Thanks. And you look..." I couldn't even begin to describe the beauty in front of me. A river of auburn flowed down her back in waves, longer than before from the extensions, complimenting her golden eyes and sharp cheekbones. Even her face had a new rosy glow that made her absolutely stunning. And the outfit she had put on in the restroom didn't hurt one bit. Ripped jeans, ankle boots, an unseasonable crop top and leather jacket made her look dangerous. A far cry from the girl in a jumper and leggings from earlier. She was unrecognisable.

I hoped I had done as good a job on my disguise but I still needed my sisters to recognise me. I needed to hide from the world. Not from them.

I took her hand again and we walked along quietly, enjoying the sense of freedom and peace you never had at the children's home.

"Ooh, a park. Can we go, Lincoln? Please? Pleaseeeee?" Skye said, batting her eyes at me and pulling me along.

I laughed as she dragged me along down the path to where children laughed and squealed with joy, sinking into memories I had long forgotten.

"Higher, Mummy. I want to go higher." I squealed as I gazed up at the sky.

Mummy laughed and pushed the swing again so I was almost touching the sky.

"Mummy I want a go." Emma whined from the side.

Mummy stopped pushing me for a minute whilst she lifted my sister into a swing, before pushing us both gently.

"Higher!" We chorused.

Mummy pushed us and laughed as we lapsed into competition with each other. Each yelling with glee whenever our swing reached the top.

After a while, she stopped and lifted us both out, the pair of us were giddy as we headed over to Max who was sleeping in her cot.

Emma held onto Mummy as she lifted her into the pram behind her sister and I held her hand before we walked home.

And even then, I couldn't help but think that she looked even more tired than us. Tired and fading.

I blinked away unshed tears as we reached the park gates and followed Skye as she made her way to the swings, gesturing me to follow her with a smile.

I reached for her hand again and she squeezed my hand gently with a smile. Sitting on the swing, she pushed off and I ditched my rucksack before doing the same.

As I reached for the sky above, I imagined Mum's smile beaming down at me from the sun and allowed the memories to wrap around me and keep me safe.

I would see my family again soon. I was going to make sure of it. And when I did, I would make sure we were never apart again.

I had promised them.

~*~

We bought some sandwiches before walking along the path.

"So what is your plan?" Skye said as we walked along. "You need to have a plan or else you're just walking around aimlessly. You can't just run away."

"Why not?" I asked, challengingly.

"A fifteen-year-old living alone would raise some questions." She told me, speaking slowly as if I were crazy.

Maybe I was.

I scowled. "So what do you suggest?"

"I know someone who can help us out." She said.

I waited for her to expand but she simply took another bite of her sandwich.

"Would they be willing to help us?" I asked, eventually.

She took her time to swallow and I fidgeted until she was ready to talk.

"They might." She said, slowly. "It depends what mood they're in."

I raised an eyebrow but she refused to elaborate. Giving a small, knowing smile instead.

A trip with her to find the sisters I had once unwillingly abandoned? This would be interesting.

It might even be fun.