Chapter twenty-six: Emma

"Do you think Lincoln's looking for us?" Max asked, as we sat under the tree in the front garden, watching the world go by. 

"I know he is." I replied. 

"How?" She asked, turning to look at me properly. 

I hesitated. 

"Because I've been in touch with him." I said, quickly. 

She was quiet. 

"Why didn't you tell me?" She asked. "How? When? How long?" 

"A few weeks." I admitted. "He got in touch through that website I use." 

"The writing one?" 

"Yeah." 

"And you didn't tell me?" She stood up, angrily. 

"I didn't want to get your hopes up. I didn't want to get my hopes up." I said, standing to place a hand on her shoulder so she didn't walk away. "But he's there. He's looking for us." 

"Yeah right." She scoffed. 

"He is. He asked for our address." 

"And you gave it to him?" 

"Yeah." 

She gave me a look like I was crazy. 

"Are you a complete idiot?" She asked. "What if it turns out to be a stranger?" 

"It's him. I know it is." 

"How?" 

"I tested him." 

"How?" She asked again. 

"Linda suggested-" 

"Linda?" She asked. "Linda knew before I did? You barely know her!"

"But I trust her. She's been really helpful. He found us. And he's on his way!" 

"Who else knew about my brother before I did?" She demanded. 

"No one, it was just me and Linda. But you've got to promise not to tell anybody. He's going to be in so much trouble when he gets here." I said, quietly. 

"Maybe he won't." 

I gave her a look. 

"Why is he coming?" 

"He misses us." 

"So why doesn't he find a way to stay with us?" She asked. 

"Because good things never last." I replied. 

We were quiet for a minute, both absorbing the reality of my words. Max sank back down onto the grass and I did the same, still thinking about what was going to happen, and all that could go wrong. 

"What are we going to do when he gets here?" She asked. 

"I don't know." I said, quietly. "We make the most of the time we get, I suppose." 

She looked up at me, raising an eyebrow. 

"Do you want to see him?" She asked. 

"Of course I do." I replied. "Do you?" 

She was quiet for a minute. 

"Maybe." She said. "But maybe we should be careful what we wish for." 

"What do you mean?" 

"You've always been a dreamer, Emma. You've created a fantasy in your head of how you think this reunion will go. I just don't want you to be disappointed when things don't work out the way you planned." She said, sounding so much older than ten.